turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my refund taking so long? It's been well over 21 business days since excepted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is my refund taking so long? It's been well over 21 business days since excepted?

Yeah well the sight says no longer then 21day. It's not my fault that they are having problems.  However if it was my fault they would be charging me . I really think for everyone that's getting **bleep**ed over needs to be reimbursed for every day they have to wait over the 21days. We all filed with turbotax to avoid having problems and issues. Now we get told to just be patient. Tf? THAT'S OUR MONEY AND WE WANT IT NOW!!!!...

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, the IRS has been taking longer than usual due to the tax law changes.  See Why is my IRS refund taking longer than 21 days?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yeah well the sight says no longer then 21day. It's not my fault that they are having problems.  However if it was my fault they would be charging me . I really think for everyone that's getting **bleep**ed over needs to be reimbursed for every day they have to wait over the 21days. We all filed with turbotax to avoid having problems and issues. Now we get told to just be patient. Tf? THAT'S OUR MONEY AND WE WANT IT NOW!!!!...

cpplaisance
Returning Member

I thought I was the only one waiting over 21 day.  How much longer?  I have to have this money by end of April to buy a home.  Please help ! What is the hold up?  I files Feb 13th!

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The IRS doesn't share your information with us so we can't tell you when you'll get your refund. If your income tax return was approved by the IRS and it's been over 21 days, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Expect long delays.

However, per IRS, they have around 12 million tax returns that have been caught in a processing backlog created by the pandemic, which shut down the IRS for a time. Americans should see their refunds in the coming months. "We would hope to be through this backlog by the summer," said IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig.

Perhaps you had a refund offset.  Other reasons some returns take longer to process are the following: 

• Includes errors
  • Is incomplete
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
  • Includes a Form 8379, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
  • Needs further review in general
  • The IRS will contact you by mail when we need more information to process your return.

Keep checking the IRS Where's My Refund page to see if your refund status has been updated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amybinsky

Tax law changes that has nothing to do with it, I know many people who have gotten their returns. Mine are not complicated. I had no problem in the past with TurboTax but if you guys can’t get me money why should I use you again?

Yes 

Your situation is not unusual at all.  Millions of people are in the same boat this year.  Long delays at the IRS are due to Pandemic-induced staff shortages, large backlog of unprocessed return, extra duties of providing the stimulus payments, last minute changes in tax laws, etc.   Delays are even longer with mailed returns or anything that requires any manual processing or additional investigation.  Of course, there are some things you should check:

If you efiled, double-check that your efiled return was indeed accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, log in and go to the Tax Home and check the efile status, then use the tool below.

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

• Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

As of July 3, 2021, we had 16.8 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

jjinpine

I’m done with TurboTax more like snail tax. It’s been way over 21 days and still nothing. Im being to wonder if I’m even going to get it at all. There should be some kind of refund! This is not acceptable. At least put a note where it is clearly visible to people notifying them that if they use TurboTax it could take up to three months are longer to get your return!! 

@jjinpine wrote:

I’m done with TurboTax more like snail tax. It’s been way over 21 days and still nothing. Im being to wonder if I’m even going to get it at all. There should be some kind of refund! This is not acceptable. At least put a note where it is clearly visible to people notifying them that if they use TurboTax it could take up to three months are longer to get your return!! 

The 21 days is an IRS target, not a guarantee.

Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

Has nothing to do with TurboTax or any other tax preparation software provider, CPA, Tax Attorney, local tax professional or the US Post Office.

As of April 8, 2022 the IRS had 7.8 million unprocessed individual returns.

MikeQ1
Returning Member

I have been waiting since March, I used turbo tax because it was free ( which I inconveniently found out it was not) , and supposedly a faster way to file and get your return. Everyone in my household used other services and all have gotten there return but me. I am very disappointed by turbo tax.

@MikeQ1 wrote:

I have been waiting since March, I used turbo tax because it was free ( which I inconveniently found out it was not) , and supposedly a faster way to file and get your return. Everyone in my household used other services and all have gotten there return but me. I am very disappointed by turbo tax.

First of all, it depends on how you filed; i.e., whether it was by efile or by printing and mailing a paper return.   An efiled return normally takes up to 21 days, but it's not uncommon for it to be further delayed for an extended period of time if the IRS has to review anything.  A mailed paper return can take several months to process.  

Here are some things you should check:

If you efiled, double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.  If you used desktop software, you can check from within the software.

If that showed it was accepted, (or if you mailed a paper return), you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

What is displayed there about your refund?  

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

• If you efiled, be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.   If you mailed a paper return, it won't show up in the tool for at least 4 weeks or longer.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • If the IRS WMR tool is not finding your information, you can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

If the IRS WMR tool says your return is "still being processed",  you can try to phone the IRS if you want to try to reach someone to inquire about the delay.  They are not easy to reach.  

I have found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:50-6:55 PM and quickly go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   I still had to wait about 25-30 minutes.   

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies