turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why Doesn't My Tax Info Match with the IRS?

My most recent tax filing was in 2019(for the 2018 tax year) with TurboTax. The third stimulus check was mailed and then returned to the IRS and in order to have it direct deposited I need to provide info from my most recent return. I input the exact numbers for AGI and Refund Amount as shown on my TurboTax records for 2018 but Get My Payment says the information doesn't match their records. Why is this happening?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Sometimes the AGI number on their database gets reset to zero.  I would try using zero as AGI.  Also did you get the refund amount that your TurboTax is showing or was it reduced for any reason?

Thanks for the response! I've tried using zero but that doesn't work either. I received the amount that's stated on my return, there were no deductions or anything. 

Please explain "the third stimulus check was mailed and then returned..."     Where was the check mailed to?  If the IRS sent you a check in the mail why was it returned---that does not make sense.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi! I received the first two stimulus checks by mail to my foreign address. The third one was unable to be delivered and was returned to the IRS by the postal service. Since it was returned to the IRS, I now need to provide information so it can be direct deposited to me. 

Have you tried having the payment traced?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, the status of my payment is that it was initially mailed to me but has been returned to the IRS, who currently are awaiting my direct deposit info to resend it to me. 

The IRS will  not make a direct deposit to a foreign bank.    They will only mail a check to the address on your tax return.   Unless you have a U.S. bank account you cannot get a direct deposit.

Yes, I am aware of this and I have a US account. My issue is that my turbotax info doesn't match the IRS records.

Ok ... did you move since the 2018 return was filed?   If so file a form 8822 to update the address ... this should get the payment rereleased.  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8822

If this cannot be resolved you can get the credit when you file the 2021 return ... the third payment will be a credit on that return. 

Thanks! I will update my address with them but I am still worried as to why my TurboTax info doesn't match IRS records.

Did you file a NON filer return to get the first 2 stimulus payments by any chance ?   If so you DID file a 2019 return with a $1 AGI.  

Open an account at the IRS site if you can and look at the transcript to verify that is what happened :  

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

You are the only one who will see your TurboTax information.  Just keep notes on what is different in case you ever need to verify something.

I did register as a non-filer, actually! Thank you. So then as a non-filer would I select that I received a refund but that it was 0?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies