turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DWThomas

When will turbotax 2022 (for the 2021 tax year) be released?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Most likely in the November to December time period.

However, the product is unlikely to be fully functional until January of 2022.

View solution in original post

35 Replies

Most likely in the November to December time period.

However, the product is unlikely to be fully functional until January of 2022.

TurboTax would normally have the 2021 tax year desktop software available in mid-November 2021.  The 2021 tax year online editions would normally be available in early December 2021.

Note the the initial release of the software does not have every form and schedule finalized at the release.  The final forms and schedules for all federal and state returns are usually available by the end of January, wholly dependent on the IRS and the various states providing their final forms.

IMHO, by now it should be available on the web site to buy and download.  I can't find it.

@photobug56 wrote:

IMHO, by now it should be available on the web site to buy and download.  I can't find it.

Try the link below.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

Every year I try to find on on Turbotax.com.  I log in, can't find it, just the record from the previous year.  Then I remember, log into Intuit.com, etc.  But thanks - it's a good link to post!

Bookmark it for future use. 

Over time I've accumulated a huge number of bookmarks!  But maybe next year I'll remember to use the Intuit website.  Of course, I've come to the conclusion that Intuit should either merge the 2 sites or, when one longs into the TurboTax site, to actually have TT available there too!  🙂

I too have many many bookmarks ... and I have learned to save them in separate categories and even purge old ones I don't need.  Good luck cleaning up your files. 

Of course if you just google Turbotax the first one at the top of the list is the one you want ... not sure how you can get lost ...

1.jpg

you want TurboTax 2021 for tax year 2021.

If you are looking for TurboTax 2022 you won't find it.

In your opinion?  Seriously?

Turbotax for the NEXT tax year - 2022, will likely be released in November 2022.  If you want the early version (updates offered when you open it) for THIS tax year, 2021, it's on the Intuit site now.

Probably on most Turbo Tax or Intuit web pages you can scroll down to the bottom and get to the pages to buy and other places

Buy TT.jpg

when will I be able to complete my taxs for 2021 ?

Although TurboTax may  allow you to e-filed some returns as early as 1/6/22 (IF the forms in your return are ready for filing … see info below)   they are NOT actually sent to the IRS.  TurboTax stores those early filed returns in a holding “POOL”   until the IRS opens for business and “drains the pool”  for processing ...   only then will you get an e-mail telling you if the return was accepted or rejected by the IRS.  

Only the simplest returns can be transmitted to TurboTax early.    Some forms will not be finalized until Jan 25 and some later than that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

Why does TurboTax allow early filing?  Because their competitors do - It is a marketing ploy to capture market share.

Filing early with TurboTax before the IRS opens  is a really BAD IDEA for many reasons...

1) If you discover something that is wrong on your return, receive a W-2 that is different, receive some other tax document that was not on the return that you filed then there is NOTHING that you can do about it other than wait to see if the IRS accepts or rejects the return after they open.  If rejected you can correct and file again, but if accepted then the only remedy is to amend which can take 4 months to process.

2) You must remember to check back after the IRS opens (or check for an e-mail) to confirm that the IRS has accepted or rejected the return.  If rejected, then it was never filed at all and must be corrected and re-filed.  Every year many taxpayers that file early, forget to check back and only discover months later that they never actually filed because if was rejected by the IRS but they had forgotten about checking back after filing with TurboTax.

3) While the IRS does conduct some pre-opening tests and does accept some returns early (ONLY for TESTING purposes), they will not actually  process those until after the official opening date.  There is a reason to test and that is to discover any problems with it's systems.  A couple of years ago a test went bad and several thousand "test" returns were lost.   The IRS was able to recover those but it delayed refunds for some by months.

There is no real advantage to file before the IRS opens  but there are several disadvantages to do so.

When will my forms be ready?

Historically, IRS tax forms start becoming available in January, with a few stragglers (most notably Form 1040X) getting finalized in February.

State tax forms can become available for filing any time between December and late February, depending on the state and the tax form.

For specific forms and dates, refer to the Forms Availability Table for your TurboTax product, see the related information below.

Can I Still Work On My Return Before My Forms are Ready?

Yes, according to the following:

Federal Taxes
You can still work on your return and finish most of it. Once your forms become available, we’ll create the forms and include all of your info.

You’ll only be able to e-file or print your return once the forms are available.

While you’re working on your return, we’ll ask if you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

State Taxes 
If your forms aren’t available, you’ll get a message asking you to return once they become available.

While you’re working on your return, you’ll have a chance to let us know you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

Related Information:

Click on the REVIEW tab and the program will tell you what in your return is still NOT ready and the estimated date it will be (subject to change of course ) ... you can put in for an email alert when they are ready ....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies