Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

the Turbotax website says the 1040X form is available 2 / 25 / 21 so what gives ?  

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

That date has changed to March 25.    So you might be looking at some old news.    Sorry.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

it's the info that pops up when you click the link for the 1040X form on their page for it... my fed and state have already been accepted and my fed has been deposited already 

From the IRS website as of today, 02/27/2021:

"E-filing is available for amending 2019 and 2020 returns that were originally e-filed. E-filing amended returns will result in much faster processing and refunds." " Contact your tax professional or preferred tax software provider to verify their participation in amended return e-filing, for specific instructions needed to submit an amended return, and for answers to any questions. An amended return for tax year 2019 or 2020 can also be filed on paper.  As of February 2021, the most recent paper Form 1040-X is the January 2020 revision.  If you are amending your 2020 calendar year return, you should manually enter “2020” in the entry box next to “calendar year” on the line below the calendar year checkboxes. You should then complete the form as usual, using the most recent revision of Form 1040-X and the Instructions for Form 1040 for the tax year being amended."

@Rweisfeld 

WAIT until the amended return can be efiled later in March so you don't need to wait months for it to be processed.  

WAIT until March? Only one of you is correct. The IRS says it's available for e-filing NOW. You say wait until March. You both can't be right. Which is it?

@colcamper Critter-3 is correct.    The software version of the 1040X is not available yet and will not be available until March 25.   You have to wait for it----unless you would like to print the paper 1040X and prepare it by hand to mail in. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

Expect the IRS to take 4- 6 months to process your amended return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I looked at the chart. The chart tells me it's TurboTax that is not ready and apparently putting the onus on the IRS.  That doesn't answer my question as to why TurboTax is not ready. We can keep going round and round. I just want to know why TurboTax is not ready at this point in time when the IRS is accepting e-filing of 1040x 2020 now. Have a good year...out.

I -- and probably many others -- have the exact same question.  Will someone please answer it?

Good grief... who designed this forum?  Here's the question I was replying to: 

"Not knowing that I couldn't e-file an amendment - I selected the Amend button for the already sent return.  It allowed me to correct my mistake.  Only at the end did I realize that I couldn't submit it.  My problem is that  now that file has the updates and I no longer have the file of the 1st submission.  There is no other file that has an "amended" extension or anything.  

What should I do with this file once my return is approved/completed by the IRS and I'm allowed to submit an amendment?  I also looked in Forms just to be sure there wasn't a 1040X in there (no).  I'm not sure how to proceed - should I undo my correction - resave it and then later try to amend it again?

Please advise."
Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer to this!

I need to amend this tax return ASAP

I don't mind waiting.  I'm just not sure how it is going to work.  As said in a prior post - I no longer seem to have my original submission.  Turbo Tax allowed me to start an amend and then just deleted (?) the original file, not creating a new one.  I'd like to know in advance that this will work out.  Will it just all of a sudden know that this is an amendment?  There are no 1040X forms in my file.  It just looks like it is a first submission BUT it says that it was already file.  Very confusing.

steph8287

I have already received the refund, but need to amended my return ASAP

steph8287

The return has been accepted and a refund has been received, which is the incorrect amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies