turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mylovetj1

What does "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." Exactly mean?

I filed electronically on February 17 i have not received my income tax yet they its still being processed 

What does "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." Exactly mean?

Me too

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS is having a tough time in processing and hard to contact, see this.  Each return must be cross checked for the normal and now with the new laws:

• stimulus- is it correct, pay missing amounts, do they need to be added for the new stimulus
  • unemployment - is it on there, was it filed with the $10,200 subtraction, does it need to be adjusted
  • premium tax credit - is it on there, is there an amount due, adjust the return
  • EIC - is it on, were they banned, is there a record of release to claim?
  • Child credit -anybody else claim, how old are kids, what is allowed
  • Typos, offsets, and so on for still more, it is a long process this year to check each return for so many things.
  • If there is a problem, you will get a letter explaining the issue.

The IRS is also processing returns mailed in last year and handling the current stimulus. They have scheduled this summer to adjust unemployment on returns.

The more items on your return, the more complicated the processing. Some people are getting their refund in two parts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your answer does not help at all - we had none of the situations you mentioned in why the processing of my return and others on the same date thru Turbotax are not being completed. Thanks for answering though.

lunana

hello sir, glad to know u got the refund, did u call or do any thing? or just wait..

I did not receive my refund yet. I still believe there was a glitch in the system

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sorry that you are having an issue with the IRS.  TurboTax does not issue refunds or Stimulus checks.  TurboTax is a tax preparation platform.  If you have submitted your return to the IRS, then TurboTax is out of the picture.  IRS is forbidden to discuss your information with TurboTax because of privacy laws.  There could be several reasons why you have not received your Stimulus or refund.

Honestly, there are still glitches in the system but nothing that cannot be corrected.  IRS is charged with a hefty responsibility of processing refunds and issuing Stimulus payments while conducting normal business and that required sacrificing something.  Tax refunds were put on hold until Stimulus could be issued.

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.   Lots of other folks are still waiting, so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

At least 8 million tax returns are in limbo at the IRS because of the pandemic, delaying refunds (ms...

Mine was excepted 2/23/21 and it’s 5/1/21 I’m still getting being processed have not received my stimulus either. State came two weeks ago. 

I filed 3/20/21. After 3 weeks started seeing the same message. Checked my account transcript - it has nothing for 2020.

Finally got through to the IRS after days of trying. The person told me that she has no idea why my refund is held up; but I should call after June 4th (10 WEEKS after my filing date), and hopefully the system will what's going on (she said some BS about a 'system overload' right now).

pat5
Returning Member

Mine was approved on 2/22.  Talked to IRS on 4/26.  The person said I need to wait 45 from when I filed.  Told her it had been over 60 days.  She said no it hadn’t.  Told her to count and then I heard 1,2,3,4,5....  then she said “Oh yea, it has been more than 45 days.  After being put on hold several times was told that I should check back in a month or so.  I guess the government is the every bit of inefficient they are always accused of being.

@kas123  I filed on 2/16 for my claim of the stimulus checks that I never received and I’m still waiting for a Refund date since then. It’s been 3 months already. I’m hoping that I get a Refund date soon. I claim the first and second stimulus checks that I never received and hoping that they will also add the third stimulus check with it. Since I never received any of them. I hope that you get yours soon too

I filed 42 days ago. No update just the same processing message. I filed for another $600 because my newborn wasn’t counted on the first stimulus, but I did receive the 2nd and 3rd with money for him.

The state sent me a letter wanting more information and now that’s being processed for a few more months. I did everything the site told me to do. I feel like TT dropped the ball this year with the new tax codes. 

How long after you filed did they send the letter asking for more information? I filed 03/20/2021 and about 2 weeks later it changed to "your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available". I Haven't received any letters that I am aware of and there are no codes on the wmr page when I put in my information. On my account transcript it shows nothing for my 2020 taxes yet smh. I do claim EIC and had some of the stimulus owed to me from not receiving all of what I was supposed to receive. I have no clue what is going on but I have NEVER waited this long for my refund. Other people filed with EIC and stimulus money owed to them and received their refund and stimulus money with in weeks of filing smh. At this rate I will never see my tax return 😥

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies