turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

weimerr79

What can I do my stimulus check went in to someone elses bank account i know i entered banking info incorrectly how can i fix this since there are no irs ppl to talk to

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What can I do my stimulus check went in to someone elses bank account i know i entered banking info incorrectly how can i fix this since there are no irs ppl to talk to

Unfortunately, until the IRS resumes normal operations, there is not much you can do.  If you entered the wrong direct deposit information, the payment will be mailed to the address on your most recently filed tax return.  

Stimulus payments will be based on information from your most recent tax filings, either 2019, or 2018 if you haven't filed this season yet. But, the amount paid to you now will be reconciled on next year’s tax return based on your current 2020 situation.  You will be able to claim it on your 2020 tax return if you do not get the issued resolved by year end.  

You can check on the status of your stimulus payment at the IRS Get My Payment site.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your check was already deposited into someone else's account, meaning  you gave the IRS a valid routing and account number, even though not yours, then the IR and the bank will likely be unable to help you.  You should talk to the bank, but they may be unable to remove the money from another account.  You may be lucky, though, ad find the other account holder willing to report the money as incorrectly deposited and return it to the bank.

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Most banks will return money from the IRS if the name(s) and social security number(s) on the IRS check do not exactly match the name(s) and social security number(s) registered on the account.

If the funds are returned, the IRS will then issue you a check.  

As a last resort, you will be able to sort it all out by filing for a credit on your 2020 tax return when you file in 2021.

@Stinkerbellkity

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
celyrocha21
Returning Member

when i go to my "get my payment"  it says I have my first and second stimulus in a bank but I don't know what bank card it is in the bank it's saying it's my mom's bank routing number cuz the four last digits are on one of her cards but nothing was received on the card and I don't know why it would say her information in her card if I have my own debit and credit cards

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The first step is to confirm what bank account information the IRS has on file for you. See:  IRS: View Your Tax Account Information or, for more contact resources, see IRS Let Us Help You.  

The next step would be to begin the steps to get the wrongly deposited money returned to the IRS and re-issued to the correct account. 

For more information, see: 

2020 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic F: Finding the First and Second Economic Impact Payment Amounts ...

If you have already filed the 2020 tax return, see: 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic G: Correcting issues after the 2020 tax return is filed | Intern...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies