turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Verify my identity with

I filed my taxes around the end of January 2020. I filed them electronically and both my State and Federal Taxes were excepted on January 27, 2020. My issue is that I recieved a letter from the IRS for me to proove my identity so i called the phone number listed on the letter I recieved and then had to make an appointment with the IRS for a face to face interview. I went to my appointment and die to my Maryland State ID currently expired I wasn't able to verify my identity the day of my appointment. I was told for me to get the documents i need then goto the MVA to update my ID then for me to make another appointment with the IRS. I then had to apply for a replacement Birth Certificate and replacement Social Security Card and as soon as i recieved them both i instantly called the MVA and scheduled an appointment with them for me to have my Maryland State ID renewed. Unfortunately my appointment was cancelled with the MVA due to current Pandemic we are currently facing, COVID-19. With that being said, all I need to do is verify my identity with the IRS for them to finally issue me my Federal Tax Refund via direct deposit. Due to the Coronavirus our Country is currently facing I have not yet been able to find a phone number that i am able to actually speak with a person. Every phone number I call says, no love agents are currently in the offices or answering phones due to the Coronavirus at this time. All I am trying to do is to receive my federal tax check and in can not yet do that until my identity is verified. I can not verify my identity without renewing my expired Identification Card. Please if there is anyway you could possibly help me please help me! I don't know how I am able to verify my identity for the IRS to send me my Federal Refund! I was wondering if I can possibly fax the IRS the documents they will need to verify my identity????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

92 Replies
JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Verify my identity with

How Do I Comply With Verification?

The IRS offers only two ways to verify your identity:

Only those who receive a 5071C Letter should use the verification system. The letters are sent to you via U.S. mailThey are never emailed, and the IRS does not initiate verification requests by phone.

The IRS prefers that taxpayers use the online system; because phone callers may experience delays due to the high volume of calls the IRS receives. The phone number on your letter can be used only for verification purposes, not for any other tax issues.

How Will I Be Asked to Verify My Identity?

The ID Verify website or phone system asks questions that only you can answer correctly. What you will need:

• Your previous year’s tax return
  • Your current year’s tax return
  • All supporting forms and schedules

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Verify my identity with

I did not file taxes in 2018. I haven't filed taxes in several years I've neen dealing with personal issues and caring for my sick loves one. With that said i have a two year old son that i am a si gle mother to and i worked in 2019 amd filed my taxes. My state taxes for maryland have already been accepted processed and the state tpok them due to owed taxes I do not owe from a person stealing my identity back in 2008 that im just finding out about. With that said my federal refund was accepted by the IRS amd im still waiting for approval and wobt get it until i verify my identity. I have already called every number possible duevto the COVID19 shutdown i cant speak to a live person anywhere. I meed my taxes i am a single mother going thru this Pandemic like everyone else. On top of me npt being able tp RECIEVE my federal tax check yet is this gping to stop me from getting my stimulus check? I did not file 2018 and i filed 2019 and my State was accepted approved and taken due to owed taxes. My Federal refund still says its been accepted thats it.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Verify my identity with

First for the identity verification issue.  I recommend contacting your local Taxpayer Advocate.  Currently, Taxpayer Advocacy Service remains open to receive phone calls at the local phone numbers, but has suspended walk-in services in their offices and their toll-free centralized number is unavailable until further notice.

Please visit taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov to locate your local office phone number.

You 2019 filed tax return will be used to qualify you for the stimulus payment.  

Verify my identity with

Thank you for responding so fast! I did immediately go onto the website you gave me and called to leave a voicemail with one of the taxpayer advocates. Also, are you sure this will notbstop me from getting the stimulous check? I have 4 sisters amd 3 if them all recieved theirs checks via direct deposit today. I did not! Again, my state tax check Maryland took from me saying I owe the state money and my federal check still does say its been accepted bybthe irs but of course thars it due to me having to verify my identity. I know that just because all of my sisters recieved their stimulus checks ay the same time doesn't mean i won't get one but when i go onto the IRS website to track my stimulus check it tells me its unavailable atvthis time. I'm so aorry but are you sure ill at least recive the 1700 stimulus check? I just need some type of good news right now during this Pandemic! 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Verify my identity with

The only offsets for stimulus checks are for back child support.  Here is a congressional report on stimulus check offsets.  Below is the applicable extract. 

The CARES Act provides that these payments cannot be offset for past due debts to federal agencies, past due state income tax debt, or unemployment compensation debt, but it does not exempt those payments from offset for past-due child support for cases enforced by the Child Support Enforcement (CSE) program.

Mariahk25

Verify my identity with

Hi I got rejected on returns because of a ip pin that I don’t have so is there any other way to send my returns to the irs ?

foxxypup

Verify my identity with

To register online, you need to have a mortgage, home equity loan, credit card, or auto loan. I don't have any of those things so I can't verify online.

Verify my identity with

Yes i understand that. My concern is that due to my identity not being able to be verified yet that's what im worrying is going to stop me from recieving my stimulus check! Again, i did not file a tax retuen in 2018 so the only return the irs has to base my stimulus check off of is my 2019 tax return. Even though i habent recieved my federal tax chevk yet because i cant verify my identity online i tried akready amd cant do it in person as of right mow due to the COVID19 shutdown my federal tax retirn still says it has been accepted by the IRS. With all of that said....again so that wont stop the IRS from sending me a stimulous check will it?

Verify my identity with

omg! i have the exact same problem. following

Verify my identity with

It's crazy!! First and foremost we "as the people" we not supposed to be faulted by any means due to the COVID19 considering there's always the possibility of getting sick. Out all of that aside...i am so sick and tired of every single person telling me the exact same response! Hello, doesnt everyone understand that we don't need to be told to contact the IRS no matter what the reasoning is! IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IRS NUMBER YOU TRY CALLING NO ONE IS AVAILABLE TO ANSWER PHONE CALLS OR IN ANY OFFICE!!!! SO WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO???? 

Verify my identity with

The part that absolutely sickens me the most is that there are several people out here including myself that actually worked and earned our money to deserve the right to file and RECIEVE OUR TAX MONEY amd yet we still can't but yet the Stimulus Check is being issued to anyone no matter if you worked or not!! Now tell me where the right in that is???? All I want is to receive my federal check and yes of course it would be nice to receive a Stimulus Check as well! I am by no means looking for any type of sympathy but I am a single mother making minimum wage and i work hard to support me and my son and it's hard already being a single parent but right now with everything our country is going thru its even harder for alk of us right now! Of course no one expects things like this to happen but don't you think the IRS should be available someway for people in our situation?? All i need to do is verify my identity and i have done every step on my part!! There us absolutely notjing else I can do but sit around and wait! Do you know how messed up that is knowing there's absolutely notjing else to do but sit around amd wait and hope and pray all of this mess ends so i can finally make another appointment to verify my identity to the IRS face to face! Waiting doesn't put food on the table or doesn't pay the bills!! 

Verify my identity with

How is this marks as solved. We’re you able to verify? I’m in the same exact position and was furloughed from my job and currently aren’t accepted for unemployment benefits. I haven’t received my stimulus because my taxes haven’t been fully processed do to the identity verification. I also didn’t file for 2018. So I have received neither check and need it. 

Verify my identity with

It is not at all solved!!!! Im in the same situation as in I did not file for 2018 and due to me not being able to verify my identity I still habe recieved my taxes i filed back in January nor am i going to receive a Stimulus Check either because my federal taxes still say they are being processed so my stimulus check can not be sent to me. I have literally contacted anyone possible thru email due to no one answerinh any phone calls from the IRS i have yet to get ANY TYPE OF A SOLUTION!!!! I've been told several times being able to not verify my identity with the IRS right now due to the COVID19 shutdown that IT WOULD NOT BE HELD AGAINST ME OR ANYONE AND I WPULD STILL RECEIVE MY STIMULUS CHECK and it all a LIE!!!! I don't know What else to do! Please can anyone help me and everyone that's going thru these issues give us some type of REAL ANSWERS!!!! Please, I am a single mother and struggling I need my tax money!!!! 

Verify my identity with

I’m having the same problem contacted tax advocate and they are closed to the public as well and I can’t receive my stimulus payment until my identity is verified as well I am facing a eviction I don’t receive public assistance so me and my 4 are In a F situation and I have tried every account number I have ever had.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies