turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment additional refund

I received additional 2500.00 tax refund from unemployment, months after I filed and had already received a small refund.  When I file my taxes for 2021, will my total refund I received for 2020 show up when I file my 2021 taxes?  Meaning will it show how much I received for 2020? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Your 2020 refund won't show up on your 2021 return next year.   You won't need it.   You will need the AGI from the original return you filed to efile next year.

It might.  The 2021 income tax program is still being written.  We do not yet know how the programmers will account for the additional refund.  Make sure you keep good records so you will be prepared if the program asks you how much you received instead of telling you the number.

What is an AIG?

@cole1010 wrote:

What is an AIG?

AGI is Adjusted Gross Income (found on Line 11 of your 1040).

The AGI is the Adjusted Gross Income from your 2020 return line 11.   You will need to enter that amount when you file next year to verify your identity.   Did you efile 2020 this year?  You needed to enter your 2019 AGI when you efiled.   Did you?

And will that show that I received the additional refund? 😬

No.  The refund or tax due is not part of AGI.

Ok so no where on my taxes will it show any kind of a refund from 2020, not even comparing the different refund amount between 2020 and 2021??

@cole1010 wrote:

Ok so no where on my taxes will it show any kind of a refund from 2020, not even comparing the different refund amount between 2020 and 2021??

Federal tax refunds are Never reported on a federal tax return.

Thank you

Are they changing things for 2021??

Like what?   Are you worried about something?   Yes many things might change.  Nobody knows what congress will do.  They can change the rules and taxes anytime.   Even after you file like they did for 2020 returns.  Then it will take awhile for Turbo Tax to update the program.

I’m worried about my husband finding out I got an additional 2500.00  cuz I didn’t tell him. 😬 we weren’t married in 2020, and not sure how we are filing for 2021 yet.

So is that something that will show up on anything when we file??? 😬🤞🏼

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies