turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

@Wolfy6896

I understand that you are in a tough place but your anger is misdirected.  TurboTax didn't do anything to you.  TurboTax doesn't deposit the $1400 stimulus money, the IRS does.  And only the IRS.  

The only way that account would be associated with you is if it was used on a tax return filed with your name and social security number.  

I assume perhaps your ex filed your taxes for you previously and you chose to use that account for a refund?  That is how the IRS gets that information, not from TurboTax.  They have nothing to do with what has happened to you.  

pharpe

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

Thank you aschulman.  You just saved me from a panic attack.  I had been watching my account for my return and still haven't seen it.  Checked the IRS sight and it says it was successful deposited weeks ago.  So I went and checked back in Turbo Tax for the efile info.  i found it listed a completely unknow bank and routing number.  No account I entered or have ever used.  I called TT and got a "sorry once submitted there is noting we can do" response.  Ridiculous that they are changing your banking info behind the scenes and acting like it's not their problem.  The rep didn't even mention Credit Karma.  So glad I found this. 

I AM TELLING YOU, TT put the wrong account number and routing number on my return. No one else has ever filed for me. This was an account and routing number i have never been associated with. When TT looked into it, they blamed it on the IRS which is ridiculous. You taking up for TT is ridiculous. Why is it so hard to believe that TT put the wrong acct and routing number on my return when it has literally happened to thousands of other people and TT REFUSES to help figure out why and how this happened.

I had to call IRS to put a trace on both my refund and my stimulus bc both went into the wrong account. It takes 90 days for IRS to get back to you with a determination. 

@achtungapril   Were you having the fees deducted from your refund?  Then your refund gets sent to the bank that takes the fees out.   

Who provides the Refund Processing?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/who-provides-pay-with-my-refund/00/26410

No, I wasn't getting an advance to pay for the cost of my return with my refund. 

Do you have any investments?

One poster found this.....
The refund was sent to a bank I didn't recognize because Schwab where I have an account uses an intermediary bank, JP Morgan. So the refund was in my Schwab account which has little activity and I had not checked. I had not had a refund in so long, I did not remember the default account I had set up years ago for refunds.

And, I kind of remember seeing this posted before. That if you import from a broker it might enter that as your Direct Deposit Info.

Why would it be in a credit karma account? Turbo tax told me that they dont use the bank in Kansas City Missouri where my refund and stimulus check was deposited, for their payment advancement option when customers choose to pay for the cost of their return using their refund. I didnt pay for my return using my refund and played using my debit card. I called the bank where my refund and stimulis check were deposited and told them that it was deposited into an account that didnt have my name on it and that bank said there wasnt anything they could do but if it was deposited incorrectly I'd have to wait for the IRS to retrieve it.

cbc2021
Returning Member

Thank you...same issue here! Somehow, a routing number for a bank I've never used showed up. I copy & paste the routing number & account number for my actual bank from a file I have, so no error there. Somehow...once it got submitted to TT (or even before?), the numbers changed to a JP Morgan Chase bank.

Unlike you, the account number at JP Morgan doesn't exist, so I should eventually be receiving a check (in up to 120 days) from California, but still. It's either TT or there's a virus/hacker on my Mac that put in a bank account that doesn't exist.

goducks05
Returning Member

Yeah, same thing happening to me, money sent to the wrong account that I **did not** type in.  I haven't deposited money in this particular IRA in **years**, rather Turbo Tax has sent my refund for the last several years to the same checking account.  This year Turbo Tax sent my refund to my IRA account.  No idea why.  I didn't change anything at the end of the Turbo Tax process, so my bad for assuming the account information that popped-up was still my same checking account.  I am really frustrated as this glitch at Turbo Tax would do this.  

I sent my 2020 taxes, paper and electronic, on March 24, 2021. I received an email from you stating that it was accepted. When I called the IRS yesterday the representative gave me the routing #[removed] and the account #[phone number removed] that my $1107.00 was deposited into, the Boeing Employees CU. That is not and never has been my account, I live in Oklahoma and my bank is IBC Bank routing #[removed] and my checking account # is [phone number removed] as stated on my Intuit paperwork. Is there something you can do to get my money back from the incorrect bank? The bank said that it is the IRS issue to fix and the the IRS said that it is the banks issue to fix. Any help and suggestions on getting my refund back from the incorrect bank, Boeing Employees Credit Union and direct deposited to my bank IBC BANK in Oklahoma is greatly appreciated. 

Michael Jerrod Hill

[email address removed]

Although the IRS said our refund had been submitted, we never received it. I accessed our tax return on TT to discover the bank routing and account number had been changed from the one I had entered. We called TT who said there was no way it could have been changed on their end and the deposit had been sent to their clearing bank in Santa Barbara and it wasn’t their problem so “good bye”… case closed. Santa Barbara said once the refund was processed, the refund was sent to a bank in Kansas City who, when contacted, would not provide any information.

At this point we were scared our computer had been hacked and called a “geek” to check it out. He advised it had NOT been hacked. After learning about other TT users having similar problems and finally finding the refund in their brokerage account we checked ours and aha, there it was. Somehow the account numbers had been changed when TT accessed our brokerage account for the tax reporting info.

Obviously, very happy to find our refund but vastly disappointed in TT unwillingness to help, especially when this apparently was not the first time something like this has happened. The bigger concern was apparently the TT software allows the bank numbers to be changed without notification. Since entering our bank account numbers was among the last things I did before sending the tax return in, I’m sure the bank info was correct.

I had the exact same problem.  I have no idea where Turbo Tax got these numbers from but I would have verified and know its not my account or routing number.  Turbo Tax agent told me today that TT some how picked up the reference number for the fees I paid and that's the numbers that appeared in some ppl's direct deposit information.  How crazy is that???? And IRS or FTB will not guarantee they will recover my money! Someone needs to take responsibility here and its not me!  My funds should have been in my account on 5/27. Oh and they told me to try to go to the TT print center and check my return (routing number and acct. number) there on the first page.  I did and it still have the bogus numbers.  So disappointed.  This will be the last time I ever use TT again. Why would everything transfer correctly except this important information??

UPDATE: IF YOU OPENED UP A CREDIT KARMA ACCT LOOK THERE FOR YOUR MONEY'S!!!!!!

Turbo Tax confirmed that the last four digits and its not my account or routing number and this same exact this has happed to me. I only got a hold of FTB and they confirmed my money had a ACH on 5/27 same as IRS says on "Where's my Refund"  So I am baffled and sick to my stomach praying that the money did not get into someone else account and gone, because IRS, FTB or TT will not guarantee anything!

You are a genius!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe TT could not tell me this!!!!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies