Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Aj102

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

Hello, 

If I owed the state before I amended and set a date for payment via direct deposit. Will they still take the payment or it won’t be processed until the amend is complete? 

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

@Aj102 wrote:

Hello, 

If I owed the state before I amended and set a date for payment via direct deposit. Will they still take the payment or it won’t be processed until the amend is complete? 

The state will debit your account on or after the date you selected on the original tax return.

Aj102

Debited meaning they will still take the refunded amount scheduled? Even after I amended?  

@Aj102 wrote:

Debited meaning they will still take the refunded amount scheduled? Even after I amended?  

Yes.  The original tax return will be processed before the amended return.

I am in a similar situation, but I owed $827 when I filed for 2022. Then I got a very late corrected form from my brokerage. After amending the return, I am now due a refund of $906 (a difference of $79 refund). How do I handle it? Pay the $827, then wait 20 weeks for the $906 refund?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  The original return will be processed first.  The Amended Return can take up to three months to process and is processed separately.

Here's where you can Check the Status of an Amended Return. 

@torobert222 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@torobert222 

If you cannot stop the payment on the original return  by contacting the feds/state then the payment will happen as directed by you when you filed the return and then you will have to wait for the refund on the amended return.

I haven't mailed in the check yet.

If I don't mail the check, will they assess a penalty, even though they actually owe me a refund on the amended return?

@Critter-3 

OK ... first look at the 1040X line 16 ... if you did not send the payment yet then that line should be zero.  If that line is not zero please change it to a zero and recompute the rest of the 1040X.  If your amended return still shows a balance due  on line 20  then send that amount by 4/18 and it will eventually be reconciled with the amendment (if you efile the amendment) or mail the payment with the paper 1040X.

If line 16 is a zero  AND  you now have a refund on line 22 then you don't need to send any payment and you will have to wait for the 1040X to fully process. 

IRS1369

My problem is different.  I understand that an amended return is separate and I have to pay separately for the return.  But I had an amount of overpayment and applied to next year on original return,  Do I claim the original amount as applied to next years amount since I payed a check on the amended return?  Or where can I see what the IRS has as applying to next year? I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies