turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Spinoza
Returning Member

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

I'm completely lost here I got a refund of $500

Now they say I owe $500 if I'm only adding a 1099 with capital loss why are they taking the $500 that are originally from a w2

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

Not sure why you are having to pay if you are adding a capital loss amount.  What type of 1099 are you seeking to add?  Is it a 1099-B?  If so, please provide a few more details about the nature of the capital loss you are trying to enter on your return.  

@Spinoza

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Only made changes to return that’s what lady from state of Congress told me. But due to the wait of my refund now owe 554 for updating W2 so how would able to remove or just pay the balance. ( Fixed)

@EssenceT96 Sorry----but your post is difficult to understand.  There is no such thing as "state of Congress."   If you amended your tax return and now owe additional money---which is possible since you say you added a W-2---then you need to pay the additional tax due by sending a check or money order to the IRS or by using the IRS payment site.  If this is not what you mean, then please try explaining again.

https://www.irs.gov/payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Here is some info about amending and if you need to pay......

You will still get the first original full refund (and keep it) or need to pay the first tax due. You should not amend or change your return until you get the refund from the original return or your payment has cleared.

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16. If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any 1040V voucher that prints out and the new 1040. Those are what your return would have been if you had not needed to amend.

Yes thank you 

Same. 

I had to amend my federal tax return because I made a mistake (nothing major) and when I go to submit it it tells me that I owe them money... Uhm like EXCUSE ME the lovely IRS took my ENTIRE federal refund for offsets (FYI I still have no idea what for- I call that offset number every year before I file and this year it said I didn't have any debts, I pay all my stuff on time, I don't have kids, I paid off my college VA stuff years ago, my tax returns are always insanely simple, haven't opened any new accounts or took on debt, and basically NONE of their offsets applies to me) and I NEVER saw a dime so what exactly am I paying back? 🤣 They took MY refund MY money I desperately needed and now they want me to pay them AGAIN? Yeah gtfo outta here IRS 🤡

mylippyloo
Returning Member

What do u do

rishpatel000
Returning Member

Hi, can you please help me out? I never received my $1400 stimulus from all the way back in 2021.. I called many times, filed a payment trace, etc etc. Ultimately, they told me to just to the Recovery Rebate Credit in 2022 when filing my taxes for 2021. I did this and it said I would receive a refund of $1400, yay! However... I realized I made a mistake. I accidentally said I was independent even though I CAN be claimed as a dependent. I caught the mistake and did an amended tax return within 2 days of submitting my original tax return (before my original $1400 was given back to me, I didn't know about waiting to do an amended one). 

Clearly.. this was a mistake. The amended one suddenly said I OWED $1400 (even though I never even got the $1400, and I certainly shouldn't owe it because I only changed from independent to dependent, it should have either been $0 or still refunded $1400 since I never received the stimulus). I went ahead and amended the tax return anyways and selected that I would pay by check. I never paid because I shouldn't owe anything, and instead, I wrote a letter to the IRS and included supporting documents. I waited... but I never got a response... Now, I'm here about to file my 2022 tax return and my IRS account says I still owe $1400 (plus interest). Do I go back and amend my 2021 tax return? Do I mail another letter? Do I call? How do I explain that I amended my tax return too early and TurboTax assumed I had already received my $1400.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

When did you file your returns? Amendments can take 16 weeks or more to process. Some taxpayers have waited six months. You should not have filed a second amendment until the first is processed.

The IRS sends letters either accepting or rejecting your amendments so you should have received a letter for each amendment after it’s been accepted. Do you receive any letters?

It sounds like the IRS processed your amendments if your account shows you owe $1,400. If you were someone’s dependent and received a $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit with your first amendment, then you have to pay it back because you were not eligible for the third stimulus.

Where's My Amended Return? will show the status of your amendments.

Contact IRS at 800-829-4933 or on any notice you receive to learn what returns have been processed before taking any action. Or you can make an appointment and visit your local IRS office.

I had the same problem. First thing I did was check online to verify my refund status. Turns out, the IRS recognized my mistake and adjusted the refund downward.  I then went into form 1040-X and adjusted line 18 to reflect "Overpayment . . . as previously adjusted by the IRS."

Once I entered the revised refund amount, as determined by the IRS, TurboTax shows that I do not owe the IRS additional money. This is because the IRS now recognizes I am due a smaller refund.

I have held off e-filing my amended return until I receive the IRS adjusted refund.

@Joe B1 Thanks for sharing that -- you are a perfect example of why we keep telling people to wait for their original returns to be fully processed before they panic and send in amended returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may receive a letter from the IRS stating that they have adjusted your return and that you don't need to file an Amended Return.

If you do, you can save your Amended Return to transfer into next year's return with the correct entries.

@Joe B1 

rishpatel000
Returning Member

Sorry for the late response, I've been sick. I filed my return early March 2022 and then filed my amended return April 17th, 2022. It did get approved because I got an email on April 18 from TurboTax saying it got approved. I know I should not have filed a second amendment until the first is processed, but I didn't know that before. I thought the sooner I fix the mistake on my return, the better, so I scurried to do it. I have not received a letter about it accepting or rejecting my amendment. 

I was a dependent but I called the IRS many times and I didn't realize my parents were supposed to get the $1400 on my behalf. I thought I (the dependent) was supposed to receive it. My parents would have been eligible though so they should have gotten $1400 but they never did. Should they go back and amend last years tax return and do the Recovery Rebate credit? How do I ensure that the $1400 I owe (plus fees on and interest on top of that) is scratched? I never got $1400 so I shouldn't have to owe it... I'll contact my local IRS office.

When I use "Where's my amended return" it says that "we cannot provide any information".

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's been a difficult process to connect with the IRS since COVID and the response by mail as dramatically increased by months.  You should not be concerned since you did not get the $1.400 refund.  The two returns should cancel each other out once all is reconciled at the IRS.  Try calling very early or very late.

Yes, your parents should file an amended return and use the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) if they include you as their dependent.  They should check their return carefully to be sure you were not already included on the return and for the stimulus rebate.  If they use TurboTax they can use the steps below to include the RRC on an amended return.  Be sure they read all of the instructions for amending before they begin.

Follow the steps below to enter your information for the Rebate Recovery Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

Feel better @rishpatel000 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies