turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I mailed out my amendment return months ago , there is still no sign that they have received my return . Online it stay it’s not in the system . So I’m just trying to figure out what I sh

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

So I mailed out my amendment return months ago , there is still no sign that they have received my return . Online it stay it’s not in the system . So I’m just trying to figure out what I sh

The IRS is not working on mailed returns now---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The status of the mailed amended federal tax return, Form 1040X, will be on the IRS website for amended tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

However, the IRS is not processing any type of paper tax returns at this time.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your Economic Impact Payment. Paper returns will be processed   once processing centers are able to reopen.

The IRS is currently not processing any mailed returns (regular or amended) and hasn't been for some time. An amended return in normal times takes 16 weeks to process and will take a lot longer with this pause in processing. The IRS has not indicated when they will start processing mailed returns again. It is too soon to worry about the status of your return.

When they do start processing it, you can track the status using this tracking web site: 

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

I mailed my amended return in about six months ago and  it’s still not showing up in the system? How do ik if it didn’t get lost or something ?

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

Sorry the IRS has limited staff due to Covid-19.  They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  An IRS spokesperson recently said that they have about 11 million pieces of unopened mail.  The IRS says....."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it."  So it may take longer if you mailed in June or later.   So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

GMP
Level 1

Hello

i mailed my amended return in mid July and just yesterday I checked status on where's my amended return and it showed me they received it july 20th. Due to Covid system was not being updated frequently. I called IRS myself and they said to check my status again in 3 weeks. 

Just because they have it in the system it still must be processed ... processing can still take 4 months or more so don't expect a check on any certain date and you will not be disappointed. 

252627b

I Mailed my 1040X in May and in November it finally appeared on irs web site. But it says "Take Action" "Your amended return was received however it has not been processed.....Please call the #..... ext 623"

I called many times but it's just impossible to get through. Every time I hear either waiting time 60 min and after 15 min it hangs up or  we're unable to take your call this time, please call later or other day. 

How should I get my refund? It's just helpless situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies