Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keith4ever
Returning Member

SBTPG is holding my tax refund over a month

I already checked,

1. IRS has approved and added more amount on top of my original tax refund, filed via TurboTax

2. TurboTax fee was paid separately via my credit card. And there is no offset by IRS. Originally the amount was $6,583, but IRS is refunding about $45k. 

3. IRS has transferred the whole amount to SBTPG account, and SBTPG website even confirmed it. 

4. Now the status is now "under review" and it's being held like that over a month now.

5. I called them 5 times so far, and there is no definite answer when they will transfer the money to me. I asked if I can talk to someone in charge, but they refused. They promised to call me back but they haven't done it. Same answer that I have to wait. No due time, no promise. 

This is very frustrating situation obviously, and I want to know what I can do at the moment. Shouldn't TurboTax be responsible and have SBTPG to transfer my refund? There is absolutely no legal or financial reason they can hold it such a long time. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sounds like you are confused.   You are saying that you paid your TurboTax fees by credit card.  ("TurboTax was paid separately via my credit card")  If you really did that, the third party bank would not be involved at all.   The third party bank----SBTPG --- only gets involved when you do NOT pay your TurboTax fees upfront using a credit or debit card and choose instead to have your fees deducted from your federal refund.   The third party bank provides that "refund processing" service for a fee of $39.99 (or $44.99 in CA)   Check your own credit/debit card statement----do you see an amount that you paid to TurboTax?

What is Refund Processing Service?

And  you are saying the IRS changed your refund from $6583 to 45 thousand dollars?!    ("Originally the amount was $6,583, but IRS is refunding about $45k. ")

If your refund was changed to that amount, it is no surprise that it went under review.   What do you believe the IRS changed that could result in a refund that increased by more than thirty-eight thousand dollars?

TurboTax gets no information at all from the IRS after you file your tax return.   TurboTax cannot contact the IRS on your behalf, so no one at TT would know why your refund changed.  The IRS will not tell anyone at TT anything at all about your refund.

Have you contacted the IRS yourself?   What does it say when you check your IRS online account?

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Your tax refund was not sent to TurboTax.   TurboTax does not handle your refund at all.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/who-provides-pay-with-my-refund/00/26410

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hopefully, OP means $4,500, not $45,000.

keith4ever
Returning Member

It's indeed $45K, and there is a reason. I don't think SBTPG has any right to hold money unless I owe anything to TT. 

IRS has already wired the money to SBTPG (it's even shown on their web record) which is ridiculous, becuase if what you said is true, I certainly paid the fee with my credit card.

As an end user, I don't need to worry about all these details and that's why I paid money to TT. All I care was whether or not IRS approves my tax refund, and I thought I will get the refund soon after the approval. 

Why do you think "under review" makes sense? 

Once IRS approves the tax filing and wired whatever amount, what does TT or SBTPG have anything with it? Are you trying to audit IRS now? 

Why am I paying $180 for customer service that is nonexistent?  I will NOT be a returning customer ever. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies