turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returns transmitted but e-file status shows I did not e-file yet

I transmitted both federal and state returns just now, and the e-file status says 

"You haven't e-filed a tax return yet". So I tried transmitting it again and I still get the same message.

I didn't receive any email from TurboTax either. Is it because I transmitted after normal business hours?

I'm using the TurboTax Deluxe Desktop Software.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

Be patient ---- the results are not instant.   You will receive an email that tells you that your returns were submitted.   Later you will receive an email telling you if your federal return was accepted.   If the federal gets accepted then sometime within hours or a couple of days you will get an email telling you if your state has been accepted.

Close out of the TT program in desktop then next time you open the program -- go to Review> Check E-file status

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I never received an email saying the returns were submitted.

Spoke to support on the phone, they said they can't see anything submitted on their end either.

I tried submitting 3 times.

Any way to work around this?

And you did not get a rejection email?   Are you using desktop software?   What does it do when you try to e-file?   Have you updated your software?   And--not many people do now---but do you have your TT disk in the drive?  If so take it out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No rejection email received and I'm using the desktop software.

It says the return has been sent but the e-file status says " you have not e-filed yet"

Software is and was fully updated, and I do not have the TT disk in the drive, it was a digital download.

Where does it say the return has been sent?   Where are you seeing that?  And describe exactly how you are checking your e-file status.

After I hit the "Transmit Returns Now" button it takes me to a page where it says your returns have been sent.

Then when I click "Check efile status" on the top it says "you haven't e-filed any tax returns yet"

I went through step by step under "File a Return". I closed TT and reopened. Same message when I try to check the status of the e-file.

Yikes.....and you started asking about this a couple of days ago.   Have you tried looking on the IRS site to see if they are showing anything?  

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

I'm having the same problem says my return has been transmitted but e-file status is not e-filed

I think I figured it out. If you're paying with card for tax owed it provides that error.

I chose to mail a check instead and it fixed the e-file status issue. Finally filed it.

Hopefully this helps you as well.

Thank you for your reply but I just printed and  mailed the returns.  Turbo tax should have told me the balance due was too large  to transmit via bank debit. At least from your reply I know why it would not e -file

Same problem.  I have a message from TT saying that my return was transmitted. I owe nothing. No email from TT. I try to resubmit, and it says I can't.  IRS has no record.  Transmitted early April.

When I go to TT, there is a message saying I need to file. When I try to, I get a message saying:

The submission was a duplicate of one that was already received...Please contact customer support.

I can't even figure out how to contact Customer Support

@regostein You say that you e-filed in April and owed nothing.   What are you trying to do now, then?   Are you waiting for a tax refund?   Where are you looking for information?   The IRS is severely backlogged, so it is taking longer than normal for them to enter returns into the system.   When the IRS enters your return into the system you will be able to see a transcript on the IRS site.  

When you use the TT site, are you looking in the same account you used to e-file the return---or are you looking in a different account?  That would explain why it is saying you did not file yet.

You have to access your own account and/or  print it for yourself using exactly the same account and user ID that you used when you prepared the return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account recovery

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

Or did you use the desktop version of TurboTax?  If so, the files are on your own hard drive or any backup device you used like a flash drive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901486-how-many-turbotax-accounts-do-i-have

You can get a free transcript from the IRS:   

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I owe nothing on my US return, but do owe $5 on my Arizona return.  No refund on my US return.  

I filed using the desktop version. I do have a copy of the return saved to my computer.  I just don't see any reference on the IRS site or the state site.  

On the TT desktop site, when I go to check E-File status, I get a message saying I haven't e-filed my returns.  When I try to go through the process of e-filing, I get a message saying that the submission is a duplicate of one that was already received.  Seems like it has to either not been sent or it has to be received, can't be both.

I looked at the IRS site and I found a document stating that my return was received in April.  Not sure why I didn't get notification from TT or the IRS that this was received.

Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies