turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboMonk1
Returning Member

Printing 2020 return causes TurboTax to crash.

macOS Big Sur, V 11.21.  iMac desktop during printing 2020 return and save as PDF causes TurboTax to crash (CPU % exceeds 100%).  Any ideas?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please clear the cookies and cache on your browser, as well as ensure your browser is up to date. 

If the issue persists, please try another browser than the current one, or incognito/private mode. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same issue.

I've reinstalled the software, cleared cases, etc. and no joy; it just crashes at print.  And it won't save as pdf

Crash or just hung with a spinning beachball?

Usually when that happens, just wait (up to 45 mins).   If it eventually prints then it should print normally after that.

Nobody has been able to reproduce this so the root cause can be identified.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I just spent an hour on the phone with tech support and reproduced it.  They were unable to resolve the issue, despite being very helpful, patient, and competent.  The code writers will have to fix this one.  In the mean time I'm going to use TT on an older version of MacOS - I currently have 11.2.3, which IMHO is TT's problem...

Again, if a spinning beachball just print and wait for 30-45 minutes - does it print then?

One user found a leftover file from virus software was causing the blockage.  This problem appears to be external of TurboTax.    TurboTax issues a standard Apple OS print call and something is blocking it (or slowing it up). 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

OK I installed TT on another Mac running 10.15.7 and it printed just fine.

pobox9698
Returning Member

I have the CD version of TurboTax Premier 2021 using Mac OS 10.14.7 and whenever I go to print the TurboTax Application Quits. Have tried printing one form or all form, and making a copy. Always quits. Spent approximately 3 hours talking on the phone to support with no solution. 

@pobox9698 wrote:

I have the CD version of TurboTax Premier 2021 using Mac OS 10.14.7 and whenever I go to print the TurboTax Application Quits. Have tried printing one form or all form, and making a copy. Always quits. Spent approximately 3 hours talking on the phone to support with no solution. 

Are you sure that is crashes or does it just spin the wheel?

Usually just waiting it out for up to an hour will print evenly.    The Apple print function might be getting blocked by any virus software installed on your computer or not totally removed.

vilord

Surprisingly, the 'just wait' worked. This machine has no problem with printing from dozens of other apps, but turbotax would seemingly lock up, I gave up after 20 minutes

I told it instead to print just state, and after about 3 minutes it recovered and I was able to print, same result when printing just federal. looks like some sort of turbotax bug where it tries to cache the whole thing in limited memory space.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are happy to hear you were able to print successfully. 

Please let us know if we can assist you further. @vilord

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@vilord wrote:

Surprisingly, the 'just wait' worked. This machine has no problem with printing from dozens of other apps, but turbotax would seemingly lock up, I gave up after 20 minutes

I told it instead to print just state, and after about 3 minutes it recovered and I was able to print, same result when printing just federal. looks like some sort of turbotax bug where it tries to cache the whole thing in limited memory space.

It is not actually a TurboTax bug.    TurboTax just issues a standard built in Apple print call using the Apple supplied print feature.   Something external to TurboTax blocks that print call.  A couple of users have tranced it to virus software they installed years ago and removed but it left behind a process that was not removed.    Once it prints then subsequent  prints seem to be normal which is why it is so difficult to diagnose - it can't be reproduced on a Mac that is not having the problem and once the problem goes away it will not happen again.  You cannot fix a problem that cannot be reproduced.

It actually happened to me a couple years ago and I did not know at the time what was happening so I did not try to gather log files and process snapshots while it was happening and I have spend hours trying to reproduce it but it never happened again once it printed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies