turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to amend?

I e-filed my taxes over the weekend. I used Turbo Tax Free to do so. I only had one W-2 to report, or so I thought. I left a job the last week of December 2017, so I didn't think I had made any income from them in 2018. But I forgot that I was sent a check for $161.37 for owed vacation/sick time after I had already left the position. I did not receive this check until January 2018 if my memory serves me correctly. So now I need to amend my returns. My federal return was just accepted by the IRS yesterday, my state return is still in pending status. What do I do now? Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Need to amend?

You don't have to worry or rush... the IRS is yet to release the current amendment Form 1040X. Just wait for your federal refund to be received  (if you have any) and for the state return to be accepted and received.  This will be the easiest approach. Once you have both, use the link below to amend the federal and state income tax returns; be sure to pay any tax liability that results from the amendment on time, by April 15th, 2019. If the amendment has no impact on your tax liability/refund, you won't have to amend.

Here is the link: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Need to amend?

You don't have to worry or rush... the IRS is yet to release the current amendment Form 1040X. Just wait for your federal refund to be received  (if you have any) and for the state return to be accepted and received.  This will be the easiest approach. Once you have both, use the link below to amend the federal and state income tax returns; be sure to pay any tax liability that results from the amendment on time, by April 15th, 2019. If the amendment has no impact on your tax liability/refund, you won't have to amend.

Here is the link: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. 

Need to amend?

Thanks for the feedback, Margaret. I'll be sure to do that. Much appreciated.
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Need to amend?

You are welcome and good luck in 2019!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to amend?

I have updated my return with new 1099 data.    My refund now shows $5/0$, federal and state, respectively.     Am I correct in assuming that these are additional refund amounts and i have not somehow overwritten my initial return.   In addition, has the 1040x stuff been released yet?

-Glenn

Need to amend?

It looks like my income was entered twice, once in my federal and again in state 2017 return. I used the free site last year and have been told by IRS that I owe $1600.00. I went on the IRS website to confirm same and it said that I didn't owe anything. I think it's because we filed married jointly last year. I then received another letter stating the amount owed. Do I need to file the 2017 amendment before I file my 2018 taxes? Can this be done by using the free Turbo Tax site?

Need to amend?

IRS is threatening to seize property.  when I phoned the 800 number the person at the other end said my answers were inadequate and I should just pay.

I have the 1099R and simply should be allowed to amend 

Can you help me or do I need to get an attorney

Need to amend?

@susanfiduccia wrote:

Can you help me or do I need to get an attorney

The first thing you should do is ensure this is legitimate and not some type of scam before you "just pay".

If the IRS is indeed planning to lien or seize property, then definitely get an attorney.

Need to amend?

I need to amend the California state tax .  On line 91 I left blank but I had $396 withheld tax for 2019

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

Need to amend?

@Corellamariscal If you need assistance with amending your state tax, please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions: I need to amend my state return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marian2

Need to amend?

I have already filed my return and received a refund of $70.  I have discovered another 1099-B form I received from Ameriprise that was not on the return I filed.  What should I do to correct my mistake?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Need to amend?

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

Need to amend?

I think that should be my choice. I see that once you guys get your money after filing you don't care about the customer's filing concerns. 

xe2dy

Need to amend?

I did my state and federal taxes last weekend. Today I received a schedule K1 document. I redid both state and federal and found a difference in both. How do I correct this? 

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

Need to amend?

@xe2dy Be sure to save a copy of your originally Filed Return.

Wait until your return has finished processing (you receive your refund, or your payment is accepted, if you owed tax) to submit an Amended Return. 

You have up to three years to file an Amended Return, and it takes several weeks for the IRS to process an amended return, in the event your added K-1 shows you owe tax. 

This link gives info on How to Amend Your Return.

This article has general info on Form K-1  and Entering a K-1  you may find helpful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies