turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rylano33

My refund showed I was supposed to get $3,278. IRS refunded me 1,478 saying there was a problem with my 1040 which I don't see a problem with. Can TurboTax help me?

I received a notice in the mail and on the IRS app telling me both the same thing and I quote:
-The social security number of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent was missing or incomplete.
-The last name of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent does not match our records.
-One or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent exceeds the age limit.
-Your AGI exceeds $75,000 ($150,000 if married filing jointly, $112,5000 if head of household).
-The amount was computed incorrectly. (683D)

I did not claim any dependents.
My AGI was $36,017 and I'm not married. Not over $75,000.
So was my amount computed wrong even though my W-2 is automatically downloaded through TurboTax? Is there anything that TurboTax can do to help me before I go directly to the IRS?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My refund showed I was supposed to get $3,278. IRS refunded me 1,478 saying there was a problem with my 1040 which I don't see a problem with. Can TurboTax help me?

Those are generic reasons for claiming the wrong Recovery rebate credit.

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts or entered the wrong amounts in the 2 boxes.  If you entered the total you got for both rounds in the same box it would think you didn't get the other one.  The IRS knows how much they already sent you.  You might have tried to claim it again on line 30.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

That difference is $1800 which is most likely 1200 for round one stimulus and 600 for round two stimulus. 

As Volvogirl mentions if your refund included a credit for those amounts on line 30 and the IRS has a record of already sending those payments to you, your refund would be reduced to eliminate duplicate payment of stimulus amounts.

If line 30 shows an 1800 credit, but you received stimulus payments, then the IRS correction is good. 

If that is not the case, for example you did not receive the stimulus payments, then you should follow the instructions in your letter for disagreeing with the corrections.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies