turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My amended return was completed, when will I get my check?

@Sfoster716

Only certain paid tax pros can still e-file past year amended returns. You cannot e-file an amended return that you prepared yourself using TurboTax.  Your 1040X must be printed, signed and dated in ink, and then you need to mail it in.  Use a mailing service like certified mail so you will know the IRS received it, since you will have a long wait for it to be processed.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The topic/question is NOT how long it will take to process an amended return, but how long will it take to get the refund once the WMAR is showing "Completed."

I am in the same boat as some others. On December 9, the WMAR showed the amended return was "Adjusted" and I would get a notice within three weeks. Looking at the transcripts at that time, it showed "Additional tax assessed $0.00" with a future date of December 19.

On December 30, the WMAR changed to "Completed" and I still had not gotten that notice, nor has there been a notation of a notice sent like I have seen before on other year transcripts.  As of today's date of January 10, nothing more has appeared in the transcripts since December 9, and I still do not have any notice. 

It would be helpful if someone had an idea. I am expecting three missed Stimulus Payments, plus some other credits for a sizeable refund, so I could use that money. Seeing that others having problems, I am wondering also when I should start making calls to find out what is going on.

Also receipt by check only is not true.  Many people are reporting that have gotten their refund by Direct Deposit.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The absolute truth is that nobody knows.  There was at one time a procedure we could look at to figure out when a refund was likely to show up but that procedure went out the window a couple of years back.

The IRS started tax year 2021 with a six month backlog of correspondence.  They haven't been able to process a lot of things in a timely manner for all of 2022 as you have had to deal with. They have now hired a bunch more folks and apparently processed a big backlog of 2020 returns recently.  So things seem to be improving.  But how much and how fast?  nobody really knows.

The IRS has been making direct deposits to some accounts when dealing with amended returns.  Which is new for them.  And it doesn't seem to follow any real pattern.  Some people get it, some people don't.  We know you have to have an account previously set up with them.  But that's all that we know.

Calling the IRS is the only way to find out the information that you're looking for.  And that is always a difficult thing to do during tax season.  I always say "Wait 60 days before you call" but what we always did and said isn't working anymore so I would call when you are ready to wait on hold for several hours.  If you have the time then go ahead and find out what's going on with your money.  

My advice when calling the IRS - always call as early in the morning as possible.  Those queues fill up fast.  And have something to do while you're on hold.  Their hold music is terrible.  Here are the IRS phone numbers (scroll down to the bottom of the page).  Good luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I ask because I actually submitted three amended returns at the same time. Two of them was received by the IRS at the same time, but a third one was received two days later, causing a nearly extra month in processing delay. This is the one I am waiting on.

The other two, once there was an adjustment, I got the notices within seven to ten days, however I was declined the credits due to time frames involved.  So I got nothing on those.

About the DD for amended return refunds, from looking at various forum, I am taking an educated guess here, but it seems it could be either one, or a combination of a couple of reasons. 

1) The amount, and security. Looking at Reddit, for example, people are using that new postal service to see what mail is arriving. The one where you can see an image of the mail arriving. Some have been posting images showing their check envelope from the Treasury, but then saying it never arrived. One person on another forum indicated their refund was in the 5k range and got it via DD.

2) Length of time in taking to process. Again, looking at various forums, according to many who submitted their amended return via eFile indicated it took about six months to process, and they got a check.  Others who mailed their return (like me), it is taking close to a year, or more to process the paper returns. Since they are paying out interest (now 7% as of 2023), plus waiting for so long, they are trying to expedite the refund.

Ruser121

I'm having same issue let me know your outcome 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS has posted information on their website about amended return processing times. Please the information here.

@Ruser121

Parsnips

Same here. Mailed amended return in February 2022, marked completed November 2022, received notice of refund November 2022. No check yet. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the IRS shows your tax refund as mailed and you have not received it, you will need to contact them. You can find instructions in this TurboTax help article:  How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

@Parsnips

Hi I'm going through similar was yours ever resolved and you got your refund? 

Hi was yours ever resolved and you got your refund? 

Ruser1211

I ended up getting mine yesterday but I went and called the tax advocate waited a month or so maybe a bit more and boom it was done I suggest calling a tax advocate 

And would I get my check

saltlakemom
Returning Member

My amended return shows completed 8/11/23, that was 4 weeks ago and I haven't received a notice or refund. I can't find any answers anywhere about how long it should take. Everyone just gives the standard answer that it's 16 - 20 weeks from acceptance. Well, I'm WAY past that. It's been over 6 months since it was accepted. 

I know they send checks via Bulk Mail which can take 2 weeks, which means I should have already received mine. Getting frustrated!

@saltlakemom wrote:

My amended return shows completed 8/11/23, that was 4 weeks ago and I haven't received a notice or refund. I can't find any answers anywhere about how long it should take. Everyone just gives the standard answer that it's 16 - 20 weeks from acceptance. Well, I'm WAY past that. It's been over 6 months since it was accepted. 

I know they send checks via Bulk Mail which can take 2 weeks, which means I should have already received mine. Getting frustrated!

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

I'm in the same situation.  But mine was processed December 18.  No change in status n it's been 15 weeks with no info from them.  But just state amended return I've already received.  Not sure if this is exactly the same but pretty similar.  Any information you can give in regards to this would be helpful... Hope your situation is settled. Oh and I may add that my amended return is for 2022 by the way. Not sure if that plays any part in it but I amended it last December it was accepted by the IRS but like I said at that time I had already received my state amendment for that year so if you can somehow decipher what I've told you and you can offer any advice I'd be very appreciative. Stay blessed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies