turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My 2019 tax return has not been processed yet and it was accepted March 28th, 2020

Using 0 for the AGI does not fix the e-file rejection.

At least not in my case.

My 2019 tax return has not been processed yet and it was accepted March 28th, 2020

@rbelprez wrote:

Using 0 for the AGI does not fix the e-file rejection.

At least not in my case.

Also see this FAQ:

FAQ:   I entered the correct AGI, and I'm still getting an efile reject

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

mrperron

Still waiting for 2019 refund mailed on Oct 15th with extension. 7 months late. Now filing 2020 e-file and Fed & State return rejected because 2019 return still not in the system..Now what?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Use 0 for your AGI.

E-filing your 2020 tax return: To e-file you will need to enter your AGI from your tax year 2019 tax return.  If your 2019 return has not yet been processed, you may enter $ 0 (zero) as your prior year Adjusted Gross Income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 2019 tax return was still not processed, but I did receive my 2020 tax return in my bank account using turbotax. I put in 00000 for last year's AGI. 

I hope this helps. IRS is not very responsive, but at least there is a way to move forward even if your 2019 tax return was unsettled.

Feltner

But I still have not received my refund

@Feltner You posted to an old thread.   it is not clear what tax year you are trying to ask about.  But this information applies to whatever tax year you are asking about (except for 2021).

TurboTax does not get any information at all from the IRS after you file your tax return.  No one at TurboTax knows what the IRS is doing with your return.

The IRS refund site is not showing information now for 2020 refunds.  It is only showing 2021 refund information, so if you try to track a 2020 refund it will tell you there is no information.

There have been a lot of delays for 2020  federal refunds.  Did you mail your return or e-file?

If you mailed it:

MAILED RETURNS

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

The IRS refund site is only showing information about 2021 refunds now so it will not show anything about your 2020 refund.

Or......

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

Does your TT account say that your return was accepted?  Or does it say something else—like “rejected”, “printed” or “ready to mail?”  If it does not say accepted then it was not filed unless you put it in an envelope yourself and mailed it.

TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

If your e-file was accepted:

If you chose to have your fees deducted from your federal refund:

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DocHJM

HELP

I just received a letter stating that I owe tax monies for 2021 taxes. (There was a carryover from the previous year that was to be applied here)

My 2019 forms were submitted April 2020 and accepted short time after.

When I dig deeper,,,,the IRS states that I did not file my 2020 forms for 2019 -

BUT I have a receipt of Accepted within TurboTax.

What do I do now?

Will Intuit provide additional RECEIPTs about when my Tax forms were sent and received?

How do I contact Intuit?

I am going to schedule a face-to-face local meeting with the IRS...

ANY and all ideas are appreciated.

Howard.

@ DocHJM wrote:

HELP

I just received a letter stating that I owe tax monies for 2021 taxes. (There was a carryover from the previous year that was to be applied here)

My 2019 forms were submitted April 2020 and accepted short time after.

When I dig deeper,,,,the IRS states that I did not file my 2020 forms for 2019 -

BUT I have a receipt of Accepted within TurboTax.

What do I do now?

Will Intuit provide additional RECEIPTs about when my Tax forms were sent and received?

How do I contact Intuit?

I am going to schedule a face-to-face local meeting with the IRS...

ANY and all ideas are appreciated.

I've posted how to reach TurboTax Support, if needed, at the end of this posting.  But here's some things that may help you in the meantime:

Did you use Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download) for tax years 2019, 2020, and 2021?

You wrote:  "When I dig deeper,,,,the IRS states that I did not file my 2020 forms for 2019"

The IRS would not use that terminology that way.   The phrase "2020 forms for 2019" is confusing.   Are you simply meaning they say your tax year 2019 return wasn't filed?   Be sure exactly what tax year the IRS thinks was not filed--2019 or 2020.

"When I dig deeper..."

Dig deeper where?  Do you have an account at the IRS website, and have you looked at your info for each of those tax years?

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

In any case, if you efiled each of those 3 tax years, then there should be a form in each year's return PDF called the "Electronic Postmark" (or you can see the individual form in Forms Mode in the desktop version).   Look at that form for each of the 3 years--2019, 2020, and 2021.  It should show accepted, rejected, etc.

You also wrote:  "I just received a letter stating that I owe tax monies for 2021 taxes. (There was a carryover from the previous year that was to be applied here)"

If you need someone to comment about that, you need to state what kind of carryover.   There are several possible types.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

It is possible that the IRS has not processed the 2020 return yet so it is not recognizing any 2020 refund being applied to the 2021 return.  Again look at your account online at the IRS and see if the 2020 return was ever processed. 

DocHJM

Thank you for all the information.

2020 TurboTax Desktop - for 2019 tax year - There is a letter in my IRS file that the 2019 forms were not filed.

There was an overpayment that I left to pay Estimated Taxes for the next year...2021 TurboTax for 2020 tax year.

YES I have an IRS account and have followed my submittals over the years and review Transcripts.

Can't seem to locate the Postmark file?  But will continue to check.

Thanks

Howard

The 2020 Desktop program would be for a 2020 tax return.  You use the same year program as your tax return.  So what year are you talking about?  Your years are not making sense.  To do a 2019 tax return you use the 2019 program.  

Ok ... let's first get this straight.  You use the TT 2019 program to file a 2019 return that is done in 2020.  And you use the 2020 program to file a 2020 return that is done in 2021.  Then the 2021 program completes a 2021 return in 2022.  Next year (2023) you will use the 2022 program to complete the 2022 return.

So if you used the 2019 program to complete the 2019 return and it had a refund you applied to the 2020 return then it should show up on the 2020 return.  The 2019 refund could NOT be applied to the 2021 return which could be your situation.  If you put that the 2019 return was applied to the 2021 return then the IRS was correct to disallow it and bill you for the missing payment.   Now it is also possible that the 2019 return was never filed or it was filed but the IRS "lost/misplaced" it in the system.  Good news is that if you have a refund coming to you then there are no penalties for mailing in the return now.  However the 2019 refund can no longer be applied to the 2020 return if it has already been filed and it cannot be applied to any other tax year. 

Jeanie75
Returning Member

I have similar issue. I was unaware my 2019 return was rejected. Bank info was for my account with husband we were going through divorce I thought he got the refund. Found out this yr we never got it cause it was never accepted and processed. I am told I don't have to amend just refill, correct bank info and resubmit it through mail. It was rejected because my ex filed and he had my income incorrect. What do I need to do? Is it too late to file? 

The law gives taxpayers three years to submit a return and claim a refund. Generally, the three-year countdown starts on the on the original due date of the return unless extended. in your case unless extended the original due date was 4/15/2020 which means if wasn't extended it is now too late to get the refund. (4/15/2023 was the deadline). if extended then you have until 10/15/2023 to file.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies