Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Mailing tax return to the IRS Austin,TX address from abroad. Has anyone else experienced this?

The IRS just began processing mail again.  They are processing it in the order it was received.  They have a substantial back log.  

Sounds like it was received, it probably just has not been opened yet.

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pridu11

Mailing tax return to the IRS Austin,TX address from abroad. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi,

Have you got the  reply from irs ? I am also facing the same problem since March 

No, I haven't got any reply from IRS. 

jane-11
Returning Member

Have you got any update?

Pridu11

Hi,

Yes I have got the documents back from IRS

jane-11
Returning Member

Great! I have the same problem as you mentioned. Did you call them or just wait for them to process? Thanks~

Pridu11

Calling them didn't help me much. I have waited for the document and finally received it on july.

jane-11
Returning Member

I haven't received mine, maybe I should wait then. Thanks very much for your answer!!!

SGuru
Returning Member

Is this delay applicable for W7 - ITIN processing also?  IRS asked for original passport to process W7 and I had sent my passport. As per USPS tracking, it has been delivered on 3rd Aug to an Individual at AUSTIN, TX 78710. But I received a rejection on 24th Aug and did not get my passport back yet. Its been 56 days now . I am worried as the Zip code on tracking status is different from the address that I had sent .

The zip code that I sent is 78714 with a PO number 9342

@SGuru wrote:

Is this delay applicable for W7 - ITIN processing also?  IRS asked for original passport to process W7 and I had sent my passport. As per USPS tracking, it has been delivered on 3rd Aug to an Individual at AUSTIN, TX 78710. But I received a rejection on 24th Aug and did not get my passport back yet. Its been 56 days now . I am worried as the Zip code on tracking status is different from the address that I had sent .

The zip code that I sent is 78714 with a PO number 9342

This IRS website gives the address for where you should have mailed the forms - https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

Due to the covid shutdown mail that has tracking on it was being accepted by other IRS owned zip codes and that is noting to worry about.  Even if you mail it to the wrong place the IRS will reroute the envelope using internal mail delivery methods it will just take a bit longer. 

Right now the IRS is playing catch up with the 11 million + envelopes that piled up while they were closed plus the millions of mail that just keeps coming.  They are trying to open the mail in the order it was received so it may take a while for your envelope to  come to the top of the pile ... patience will be needed by all this year. 

sanbachu
Returning Member

Does someone have the same issue? and what was out come. can someone please help with some info.

@sanbachu - please state your issue; this thead is over 2 years old. 

sanbachu
Returning Member

I have mailed my documents to IRS at Austin, TX 78741 but USPS tracking says it is delivered to Delivered, Left with Individual AUSTIN, TX 78710

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies