turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keisha608

It's been more than 21 days since i filed my tax return. How do i find out if something is wrong with my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

It's been more than 21 days since i filed my tax return. How do i find out if something is wrong with my return?

We know you'd like your refund as fast as possible, but we have no control over how fast the IRS or your state returns your money to you. We're unable to track down, research, or expedite your refund, because those actions are only done by the government--you'll have to contact the IRS or your state tax office for help.

The IRS releases most refunds within 21 calendar days after the e-file has been accepted (received), not 21 days from the e-filing date. If the return has been processing for more than 21 days you can call the IRS.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS don't choose the first option, "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then don't choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 4 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

If you still haven't received your refund or your refund is less than you expected , it's  possible you may have a Refund Offset.

·         For mailed returns, allow 5-6 weeks from the postmark date. (If you claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2018, you’ll get your refund the week of February 27 at the earliest.)

·         If you opted to e-file and you entered an incorrect account number for direct deposit, the government will mail you a refund check, allow 5-6 weeks from the postmark date.

Your federal refund can take longer than 21 days to process for the following reasons:

·         You claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2018.  It takes until the week of February 27 to receive your refund at the earliest.

·         The IRS processed a refund offset.

·         There were errors, inconsistencies, or missing info on the return.

·         The return is under review.

·         The IRS suspects identity theft or fraud.

·         There's a Form 8397 (Injured Spouse Allocation) on your return.  It takes 11-14 weeks to process.

·         You filed Form 1040-X (Amended Return), which can take 12-16 weeks to process.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302084

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In turbo tax website it gave me a estimated direct deposit date of February 17 which is today so that mean y’all starts the 21 days process the day I got accepted which was January 27 so how are you going to sit here and say it starts after the irs received the return that’s a lie so that also means you don’t work for turbo tax. I do my taxes with turbo tax every year and whatever date they give me on turbo tax be accurate and this year imyall give me a non accurate date 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Tequila86

The IRS expects to issue most refunds in less than 21 days after being accepted. Turbotax gives an estimated date based on the IRS's 21 day timeframe. So it all depends on the IRS and how fast your tax return moves along in the system. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS.

When will I get my IRS tax refund?

Taxpayers who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) may experience a refund hold. The IRS usually begins issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit in late February.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

To track your Federal refund, visit the Where’s My Federal Refund? site  You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

I have also never been given an inaccurate date until this year. I am claiming EIC and Child Tax Credit. But I feel like TurboTax knows that when I file, so why would they not give me a more accurate estimated date? I guess if I follow what I read above, it should be here next week instead.

Adam Likens
Returning Member

I filled and my return still says accepted ands its been more than 21 days since the date 2/3/20. Why hasnt my taxes come yet or status changed with a date to be sent?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS issues refunds, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why you haven’t received your refund if it's been longer than 21 days since you e-filed. You'll have to speak directly to IRS to find out more about the delay.

What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 day ...

What do I do when it’s been past 21 days since I filed my taxes 

@Rellowbrown wrote:

What do I do when it’s been past 21 days since I filed my taxes 

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies