It has been 5 weeks since my return was accepted and I have not received it. There is no information available on “where’s my refund?” Who can I reach out to for help?

Make sure when checking your refund status on the Where's My Refund? site, to only enter your federal income amount, not federal and state combined. Another important factor can be if you are married filing jointly and make sure you are using the Social Security Number for the name that appears first on the return. 

If your return was accepted and the information is being entered correctly in WMR and still no status, the IRS website only updates once a day, usually during the overnight hours, I would check back to see if it has updated, this is normal.

Here is the general timeline of e-filed returns:

Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

If you claimed Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC) and/or Additional Child Tax Credit, this may be the reason for the delay, due to the Path Act. The IRS started issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit on February 27, 2019If this is not the case, I have listed some additional reasons your refund may be taking longer.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times.

Other things that can delay your refund include but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets;
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information;
  • Identity fraud;
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process.

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need another day or two to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

You can contact the IRS directly and see if they can give you any details on your tax return status:

Please call 800-829-1040 and do the following:

1. Press 1 for English listen to the recorded message

2. Press 2 for answers about personal income taxes listen to the recorded message

3. Press 1 for questions about a form you already submitted

4. Press 3 for all other questions

5. Press 2 for all other questions

6. Enter your social or ein confirm type (social or ein) and confirm if the number is right by pressing 1

7. Listen to all options then it will say if you have not heard your topic please hold

8. Next, it will say if you owe money and agree with the amount press 1

You will then be transferred to a representative after a general message from the IRS

(Note: If call volume is too high they will ask you to call back)

My wife been waiting for over 5 weeks now and everything is correct on her w2 form. What is the holdups 

@ Mr Man
 wrote:

Waiting for what--a Federal refund?

What filing status was used for the return??   Why did you say "my wife" has been waiting and mentioned her W-2?   Did you and she file separate returns; i.e., is the filing status married filing separately?

Only the IRS can tell you anything about any delay with a return, but we can tell you some things to check first.

Did she efile, or did she choose to print and mail the return?  If she filed by mail, it can take about 6 weeks to get a Federal refund.

If she efiled, double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If she used Online TurboTax, she can sign into the Online Account she used and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If the Tax Home shows it was accepted, she can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of her Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.
The amount to use is on the Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, then if it's been longer than 21 days since an efiled return was accepted, here's how to reach a live IRS agent to inquire about the delay, although they are extremely busy due to all the stimulus questions on top of tax-filing questions:

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred to an agent, but there's likely to be a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

It's been 5 weeks now since I filed my taxes I've had no updates or anything telling me where my return is I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know where my refund is 

@Castle1985  wrote:

Only the IRS can tell you anything about any delay with a return, but we can tell you some things you should check first.  I'll give you some tips below on why you may not be finding it at "Where's My Refund."

If you filed by printing and mailing, the IRS has not been processing paper mailed returns the last few weeks due to the Coronavirus pandemic.   They may be gradually restarting but will have a backlog to process once they resume processing of paper returns.  If you filed by mail, then you have to do the printing and mailing; TurboTax does not do it for you.

If you efiled, double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into the Online Account you used and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If the Tax Home shows it was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to check on the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When using that tool, be sure to enter the correct SSN and filing status.  For the refund amount use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, here's how to normally reach a live IRS agent to inquire about the delay, although for the last few weeks they have been mostly closed due to the Coronavirus situation.  Some of their call centers have gradually started reopening as the pandemic improves, so if you do get through, expect a long wait with all the calls they are getting about delayed refunds and stimulus check issues.

• Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal"
  • Then choose 4 for "other things."  And then you should be transferred to an agent, but there's likely to be a long wait.

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?