turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irs rejection

I efiled my parents taxes (my father deceased) taxes were rejected twice.  I went back in to print the taxes but they are no longer on the turbo tax.  Can I just redo the taxes and mail a different copy with the amount due?  

and do I need to send a copy of the death cert?

Thank you for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

irs rejection

You do NOT need to use the rejected return ... a rejection is like the postman returning a letter as undeliverable nothing more.   So just start a new file in the program.  As to the choice to switch places on the return in the year of death ... it is not required but not forbidden although most will not so as to not confuse the IRS.  Next year she will automatically be in first position.  If the SS# is being rejected the return simply needs to be mailed in this year ... so anyway you want to get the return completed is just fine. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

irs rejection

Be sure you are logging in using the same account you filed your tax return in.

If you are unsure of your user ID. You can get a list of your User ID's and recover accounts by using The Turbo Tax recovery  tool.  Be sure to run the tool on all email addresses, if you have more than one.

Follow these steps to get help recovering your login information: 

1. Log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you could end up in a loop. 
  2.  Then clear your browsing history.
  3. Close your browser.
  4. Then reopen it, and go to Get Help Signing In!

Select your state from this IRS Federal Tax Return list and find the address you need to mail you return to.

Be sure to prepare your state return as well, provided  you live in a state that has a state income tax.

Also, when you mail in your prepared tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s, as well as any other documents pertinent to the filing of the return (to include death certificate and/or power of attorney). 

It's also a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified USPS. This way you will know when the IRS has received the return.

irs rejection

Do I have to do a recovery or can I just redo the taxes and mail the new one?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

irs rejection

If enough time has passed for Social Security Administration to have done so, the social security number is locked and the return must be sent by regular mail. You would just need to print and mail the return to the IRS. 

You will need to do a account recovery so you can print out the original return.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for assisstance:

See this link, under "Still getting rejected?":

How do I fix a rejected return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

irs rejection

Ok so I believe I did not save the return somehow. When the CD is in the only file that shows is mine my parents does not show.  I have access to the account as mine shows, but not theirs.  If I complete the form requesting account recovery is this going to mess up my taxes which were accepted?  also the form is asking for a new email address do I need to do that?  Who's social security number would I use my fathers (deceased) or my mothers?    If I didn't save then what?     I do have a copy of the taxes I reviewed before I submitted to efile and was rejected. Can I just use that and send a check instead even though with efile I planned doing a direct debit?

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

irs rejection

@rnance3 Did you complete the tax return on your computer using the CD/Download software or did you use TurboTax Online?

irs rejection

If you have the CD that would be the Desktop program installed on your computer.  After you install the CD you have to take the CD out of the computer.  In the Desktop programs the returns are only saved on your computer, not on the CD.    Are you on a Windows or Mac computer?  But sometimes people end up using the Online web version by mistake and not the Desktop installed program.  We can't tell what you did or used.  

irs rejection

I'm using windows.  Done with the CD...   I do have a copy of the previewed  copy before I e filed.  But the return is not on the computer with turbo tax any longer or at least on when I bring up the program.   I just don't know what to do now.  I've never had this problem before.  I know it needs to be mailed in but when it was rejected I tried to pay it direct debit, so I need to know can I just mail a check, what forms need to be mailed what paperwork needs to be included (w-2. 1099R, SS docs)?  

irs rejection

I'm using windows. Done with the CD... I do have a copy of the previewed copy before I e filed. But the return is not on the computer with turbo tax any longer or at least on when I bring up the program. I just don't know what to do now. I've never had this problem before. I know it needs to be mailed in but when it was rejected I tried to pay it direct debit, so I need to know can I just mail a check, what forms need to be mailed what paperwork needs to be included (w-2. 1099R, SS docs)?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

irs rejection

@rnance3

You can print and mail the return in. You will have to send in all supporting documents. 

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online? https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

How do I print and mail a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software? https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/print-and-file/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-a-return-in-the-turbot...

irs rejection

If you cannot find or did not save the tax file then you can simply start over to produce a return you can mail in .

irs rejection

That's what I wanted to do, but someone else said no you have to use the rejected return.  Now I'm more confused.  I assume it did not e-file as my father is the primary on the return & passed away  but when filing it asked for my mothers info & she was second on the return. 

I would like to start over and put my mother first and try to e-file again with her info..   

Do you know is this possible and if it doesn't work then mail?   

Or should I just mail it the way it was before.   

thank you for any help....

irs rejection

Using the CD her return is not there.

I would like to just start a new return.

That's what I wanted to do, but someone else said no you have to use the rejected return.  Now I'm more confused.  I assume it did not e-file as my father is the primary on the return & passed away  but when filing it asked for my mothers info & she was second on the return. 

I would like to start over and put my mother first and try to e-file again with her info..   

Do you know is this possible and if it doesn't work then mail?   

Or should I just mail it the way it was before.   

thank you for any help....

irs rejection

You do NOT need to use the rejected return ... a rejection is like the postman returning a letter as undeliverable nothing more.   So just start a new file in the program.  As to the choice to switch places on the return in the year of death ... it is not required but not forbidden although most will not so as to not confuse the IRS.  Next year she will automatically be in first position.  If the SS# is being rejected the return simply needs to be mailed in this year ... so anyway you want to get the return completed is just fine. 

LRB3
Returning Member

irs rejection

I need help filing addressing the Rejection

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies