turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS IP PIN is easy to get

FYI ... the IRS IP PIN is easy to get if you want one  AND  you already have an IRS account set up and/or can set one up.  Set up account access here :  https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Getting one without an Identity theft issue is totally voluntary at this time but I can see that in the future it may be required as this would reduce the fradulent return issue immensely. 

It is literally just 2 steps: 

1) click  GET AN IP PIN  here :     https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

2) log into your IRS account  and an IP PIN is issued on the spot which you can print off and use immediately. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Good information, @Critter-3 

iltm
Level 3

Hi Critter-3, thanks for posting this.  I got mine yesterday.  As you stated, it does require you to have an IRS account set up or to set one up.  Got my IP PIN instantly.  I posed the question earlier about the exact place to enter the IP PIN on TurboTax.  In the past I thought the prompt for the IP PIN was in the final stage of efile (just before finishing).  It appears it is in the Other Tax Situations.  Is this the correct place to enter my IP PIN?  I need to make sure I enter in the correct place so my return is accepted by the IRS.  Thanks for any clarification.

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Once you get on the IP PIN list there is no way to get off the list at this time.

iltm
Level 3

To clarify…my question was not about “getting off the IP PIN list”.  My inquiry was related to the proper place to enter the pin in Turbo Tax.

I’m very familiar with the IP PIN program.  If you “opt in” the IRS website has a link where you can apply for an IP PIN each year.  IP PIN’s are only good for one year.  

The process is slightly different for victims of identity theft who are automatically assigned a different IP PIN each.

Hope this clears up any confusion related to my question.

Thanks for the reply.

there was no confusion on my part.

If you opt in to the IP PIN program, IRS will automatically mail you a new PIN in Jan 2024.

iltm
Level 3

Thanks fanfare 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies