turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Delays on Processing E-Filed Returns

I am the only one who is still waiting for the IRS to process an e-filed return? Turbotax transmitted my return February 2, 2021. I realize the IRS didn't officially start processing returns until February 12, 2021. But I am still waiting. Has anyone spoken with the IRS and asked them about delays processing e-filed returns? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

How long ago was your e-file accepted?  

You may need to be more patient with a system that is overwhelmed, and give some more time for the IRS to begin processing the millions or returns they have just begun to accept.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/ 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584108-why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-my-refund-w...

Sometimes people get confused by the “summary” given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount for the federal refund.  Make sure you are only using the federal refund amount, and not an amount that combined your federal and state refunds.  

Your federal refund amount is on line 34 of your Form 1040

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Issues from TT delayed the process. They got it done with a delay. Do not ask me how they did it.

TT business and personal edition had a very bad glitch.  After I e filed my return and went back on the program to check the status instead of it showing a refund it showed a $19,000.00 Owed to IRS.  It stayed that way for 4 days then it corrected itself.  Luckily (I hope) I downloaded the return once I completed it and it had the correct numbers on it.  I filed on the 12th and still don't have my refund yet so I'm hoping to hear something soon

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@msredrobin If your return was accepted less than 21 days ago, hang in there. It can take up to 3 weeks or more right now to go from acceptance to approval. Once you are accepted, you are on the IRS payment timetable. Only the IRS knows the status of processing your tax return, whether you owe taxes or are due a refund. In prior years, the IRS issued more than 9 out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days last year. The same results are expected for 2021.

Once you have e-filed your tax return, there are a few ways to check the status of your refund:

• You can use the IRS Where’s My Refund? tool (fastest option) or you can download the IRS2Go app to check your refund status.

• Here is the general timeline of e-filed returns:
    Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ links below for more information:

Anonymous
Not applicable

same i had accepted days on Feb 11th and 14th and still waiting.....

limon2023

I'm still waiting on my return. I filed on February 10th and everything got processed on the 12th. My state return arrive and I even got the recent stimulus check. But my return's still in the processing stage and it's been over a month. Does anybody have an idea of how much longer I should wait before contacting the IRS/any liaison?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  This year has brought challenges. The IRS is required to reconcile the tax returns and stimulus payments as well as working on the third stimulus payments due to the American Rescue Plan.  With the tax season and the changes taking place all at once, a delay should be expected for full payments. They want to be diligent and are required to follow any protocols they have been issued.  They will make any adjustments and additional payments as they complete the process.

For these reasons, my suggestion would be that you should wait a few weeks longer.  But when you are ready the following information can be used.

• Final Action if no results: Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). 
    • Select Contact Us, then select to download and complete Form 911, Request for TAS Assistance
    • If you have not opened a case with TAS, call 877-777-4778 
    • TAS is an independent organization within the IRS. Their job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and that you know and understand your rights.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ukype

I filed on February 11th.  Now March 23rd and my return still has not been processed.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this post here by ToddL99 for an explanation of why returns are delayed. 

@ukype

My return was accepted on February 24 and I am still waiting. I was getting worried. I received my stimulus. But “still processing”

your return is what I continue to receive as well. Glad to hear I am not the only one.

Does anyone know with the stimulus checks  received during this tax year does this mean anyone who is suppose to receive a refund will be mailed a check and not receive it electronically?
I read that the IRS cannot make 3 deposits into the same bank account within the same year. ? Is that tax year? 
if so, people who are expecting electronic deposits may be receiving a check by mail? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct according to the IRS website.  They indicate they can only do 3 direct deposits per year.

Federal refund inquiries

As far as your refund, the IRS is issuing refunds but it does seem to be taking longer for some people.  You can use the link above for reasons why it could be taking longer.

You can also use the link below to track your refund.

IRS processing time and refund status

@photosbival

Thank you

Lisa0036

I filed on 2/22/21 and have yet to receive my refund... it is a little frustrating!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies