turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I amend my return will.it affect my stimulus check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No -- Amending your return should not affect your stimulus check.

Please see the instructions contained in these TurboTax Help articles to amend your return: 

If I already filled my 2019..how do.i fill my 2018 ..I forgot to.add it in my 2019 taxes.

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

If you did not file for 2018, you need to purchase the desktop version of TurboTax for 2018.

You need to file a 2018 tax return for your 2018 tax information.

Once you have put in your information into the program  and completed the return, you need to print, sign, date and mail your return according to the instructions that print out with your tax return.

@xlawson2488

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will I get a stimulus check if I filed single but also put down can be claimed as a dependent (When I can’t which is a mistake on my error) and hasn’t been claimed on anyone’s taxes?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, the way it is now, the stimulus payments will only go to non-dependent taxpayers. 

The payments are advancements of a 2020 tax credit, so if you file in 2020 as a non-dependent, you should get the payment then. 

You could file an amended return if you are not a dependent, but that would take some time to get cleared up with the IRS. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed in 2019 as Single, with 2 dependents. I think it should have been Head of Household. When calculating the second stimulus check, I realized as Single I get only $600, and nothing at all for the two children.

If I amend and file as HOH for 2019, would I be able to get the $1200 for the stimulus? Would it automatically end up on my 2020 refund? Is it a waste of time to amend?

Forget 2019 for the Stimulus payments.  Do you need to amend to claim dependents and be Head of Household?  That's another story.  If you claimed a qualifying dependent it automatically gives you Head of Household.  

FOR THE STIMULUS 

Are you claiming the dependents in 2020?

The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

There will be a screen with 2 boxes for each round.  If you didn't get one enter a 0 in the box.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Thank you! Both of these replies are helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies