turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I amend my 2019 taxes so I can no longer be claimed as a dependent will I receive my stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If I amend my 2019 taxes so I can no longer be claimed as a dependent will I receive my stimulus check?

To this date, the IRS has not reported whether it will 'correct' stimulus payments.

A person may be claimed as a dependent if the person meets all of the tests for either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.

IRS publication 501 Table 5 page 11 outlines the requirements.

You may attempt to amend your Federal 1040 tax return if you believe that you did not qualify as a dependent.

Please be aware that whoever is claiming you as a dependent will also have to amend their Federal 1040 tax return.

Please see this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am 100% not able to be claimed as a dependent as I am 21 live on my own, and my parents have not claimed me as a dependent since I was 18. I went ahead and sent in an amended federal 1040x, so hopefully it will do the trick but I was told it can take 12-16 weeks to be accepted, so I may have to wait until next years tax season and hopefully get the stimulus check then. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies