Re: If I amend my 2019 taxes so I can no longer be...

marinahambly

If I amend my 2019 taxes so I can no longer be claimed as a dependent will I receive my stimulus check?

JamesG1

To this date, the IRS has not reported whether it will 'correct' stimulus payments.

A person may be claimed as a dependent if the person meets all of the tests for either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.

IRS publication 501 Table 5 page 11 outlines the requirements.

You may attempt to amend your Federal 1040 tax return if you believe that you did not qualify as a dependent.

Please be aware that whoever is claiming you as a dependent will also have to amend their Federal 1040 tax return.

Please see this TurboTax Help.

marinahambly

I am 100% not able to be claimed as a dependent as I am 21 live on my own, and my parents have not claimed me as a dependent since I was 18. I went ahead and sent in an amended federal 1040x, so hopefully it will do the trick but I was told it can take 12-16 weeks to be accepted, so I may have to wait until next years tax season and hopefully get the stimulus check then.