turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I amend my 2019 return to update my filing status from dependent to single, do I also need to edit my deductions section on my 1040X?

On my 2019 return I said I was able to be claimed and later found out my parents couldn't claim me. I'm now amending my filing status and need to know if that's the only item I'll need to update on my 1040X, or if I'll also need to update the Standard Deduction section or if this comes after I've updated the IRS about my filing status. Thanks so much!!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I amend my 2019 return to update my filing status from dependent to single, do I also need to edit my deductions section on my 1040X?

TurboTax should automatically update the standard deduction. Check line 2 on the 1040-X to make sure it has been adjusted.

You are not changing your filing status. Your filing status is single, whether or not you can be claimed as a dependent. You are only changing whether you can be claimed as a dependent. That's a separate question from filing status.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help! All 3 columns across line 2 are blank and my refund is showing the same amount as my original return. Does this mean I need to re-amend and print before mailing?

Review column A...are the amounts from the original return correct?   There should have been some amount on line 2 from the original return... what was the amount on line 12 of the original 1040?  

Line 12 of my original shows $423 but all the columns across line 2 (really lines 1-17) on my 1040X printed blank after I finished amending on TurboTax...I'm thinking I may go visit with an accountant just to make sure it's filled out properly before I mail it! Sorry if I'm missing something super basic, I really appreciate your help! 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Ignore line 12 for now. How much is the standard deduction on line 9 of your original 2019 Form 1040 (not the 1040X)? If your income was high enough, it's possible that the standard deduction you got as a dependent is the same as you would get when you're not a dependent. If the standard deduction is $12,200, it won't change. In that case, saying that you cannot be claimed as a dependent doesn't change anything on your tax return, and there is no reason to file an amended return.

If there is no change, and you are filing this amended return to try to get a stimulus payment, it's too late for that. You will get your stimulus payment in the form of the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return.

If your standard deduction on the original return was less than $12,200, it should be increased to that amount. Did you uncheck the box in the My Info section that says someone can claim you as a dependent?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies