turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received tax topic 152 what does that mean

What is tax topic 151

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

46 Replies
MeganS

Tax Topic 151
The message means that your federal tax return is under review for an unknown reason, and the IRS will be sending you a letter. The IRS generally asks for proof of income, deductions, or credits. 

If you purchased Audit Defense, you should contact them first. If you don't contact them at the first notice, then they may not be able to assist you with the most beneficial outcome.

To read more about IRS Tax Topic 151 click the following link: IRS Tax Topic 151 

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152.html 

Tax Topic 152 is generic payout information generally seen if you have chosen direct deposit of your funds.  Your message simply means you are being processed.

Not true tax topic 152 is a generic message everyone gets regarding direct deposit. Quit scaring people cause everyone doing direct deposit gets this look it up on irs site etc. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 152 simply means that your e-filed return is being processed and that the government hasn't approved or rejected it yet. Sometimes return status does not update for several days or even longer. The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in the normal time frame: less than 21 days. However, it’s possible that some tax returns may require further review and could take longer.

Please click Topic No. 152 Refund Information to learn more.  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

Please click this community answered link to learn about Tax Topic 151 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/tax-topic-151-means-your-return-is-under...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Teenecia

Can u explain to me cause im in a 151 and i was on path then processing now it say review tax topic 151

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 151 means your return is under review.  This can be done for various credit claims such as Earned Income Credit or any of the education tax breaks (this is not all-inclusive).  Your best bet is to wait until the IRS contacts you via a letter which can take up to or more than 4 weeks for you to receive it.

Please click this community answered link to learn about Tax Topic 151 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/tax-topic-151-means-your-return-is-under...

Thank you for your positive remarks. It eases the minds of us that pay for and depend on Turbo Tax and Audit Defense for years to take care of our tax issues and needs by answering the questions honestly and depending on the  process to file correctly for us. 

Jameejj

Wat doea ta

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Topic 152 means that your tax returns may require further review and could take longer. Please see Topic 152 for more detailed information. https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

I submitted my tax return January 30th, they were accepted February 2nd but because I have the child tax credit I knew my taxes were not going to be processed or reviewed until after the 15th of February. It's now March 10th and my status of my tax refund is still saying being processed. It no longer shows the status bar on where's my refund as well (why is that) I've called to check and see if I had any offsets and I don't what's taking so long with tax refunds disbursements

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Juanitethomas If you were showing Tax Topic 152 simply means your return is still in the processing stage and topics and bars disappearing mean the process is moving along. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

There are many people experiencing this long delay unfortunately. Here is a link that customers are posting on with updates: Path Act Customer updates.

I am also having the same problem very frustrating first time I've used turbo tax and will definitely be last time ive never had this problem in 20 yrs of filing my taxes

qwe90

What is tax topic 152 about?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@qwe90 See more information here: Topic No. 152 Refund Information

Janebabe7

So how long will it take

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies