Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

GoGoGabar

I received tax topic 152 what does that mean

This has nothing to do with TurboTax. It’s an issue with the IRS.

I agree. Don’t scare people for no reason. Doesn’t mean anything bad and if over 21 days feel free to call IRS. I called them and isn’t anything what that guy said. Every case could be different. 

I called IRS first thing 7AM and waited on line for 45min. The guy was super nice and reviewed the message 152. It is just taking longer as it was with error resolution team for extra review and it’s in route to be processed. He said keep checking for a refund date. Once they have refund date It will update “where is my refund page.” People overreact. If there is an error even IRS can fix to change amount of refund. Just saying. So far as he told me it’s in router to process for a refund. I got 152 message today and I’ll wait two weeks. If doesn’t change I’ll call again. I would recommend you call and they’ll tell you if any issues or anything has to be checked as far as identity. I believe it’s just a regular message for delayed processing. Again to be sure you can call. He didn’t ask for my AIG but have it all ready. Write down agent name and ID number. They ask for SS, name and address. They might ask more. Here are exact steps (don’t skip) and call 7am if you can...

I am not affiliated w TurboTax but writing this from experience today. I’ve never in 8 years filing w them had my refund being delayed this long. I think it’s a very busy year for IRS and double checking stimulus and other info. 

How do you speak to a live person at the IRS?

1. The IRS telephone number is [phone number removed]
  2. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  3. Once you’ve set your language, do NOTchoose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  4. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  5. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  6. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  7. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  8. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  9. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  10. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

Me too but I never had issue or seen this message and I’ve been filing w TurboTax for 8 years. It’s happening all over (heard from others) and some have filed w TurboTax and got the refund. They have a huge backlog. Double checking for child credit, and also are people reporting stimulus amount received. I don’t think it’s TurboTax itself. 

You are correct.  Topic 152 comes directly from the IRS and it means that there is something about your return that they are looking at.  It does not mean that there is anything wrong or that you're being audited.  

Here is a link for more information.

@MalaSarajka

Thank you. I know some have Mentioned it could be identity validation issue but I never had my tax return delayed. I’m glad I was able to reach out IRS rep. Thank you for your input and assurance. Have a nice day. 

Phone number is missing but here it is:

[phone number removed]

So the IRS being backlogged and processing your claim slower than usual is somehow TurboTax’s fault? You do understand that correlation is not causation, right? 

Ethan_

Hi, i received and have had the tax topic 152 for over two months now. I did direct deposit and i have been seeing the topic 152 for at most a month and a couple weeks and I have yet to get anything besides my state return. If anyone has been in this situation please let me know.

Kimmy2494

Topic No. 152 Refund Informatio

go to IRS.gov and search this on search bar

Shushb87

I received topic 152 what does this mean 

@Shushb87 wrote:

I received topic 152 what does this mean 

Go to this IRS website for Topic 152 - https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

Does this mean that there potentially could be an issue with my refund?

In my opinion and from experience when I filed tax return last February it was an issue. The IRS found some issue mismatch regards to a child as child tax credit was reported; yet have always claimed my child and never had an issue. I know for sure all of my and my child info was correct but what I was told by IRS they fixed things on their end. It is beyond confusing and I’m blaming TurboTax not catching an error or flagging it. I followed all steps in full. After so many years filing w TurboTax I doubt I’ll do it this year online with them. Someone said nothing to do w the TurboTax. I highly doubt that after I got an official letter from IRS. So who and why there is mismatch or reason for extra validation process? I’m not sure what to think but I feel that this year I don’t want to file online on my own and see.

Last time it delayed refund and caused such confusion and IRS to review, be flagged and fix. I didn’t have to amend. So, if this is happening only w TurboTax or not I’m not sure. Does it mean it doesn’t have an error for some but for sure it means it is going through extra validation process w the IRS. I would rather pay an accountant in person for a fee to file it for me and see what happens and if the same issue appears. I wonder if people are getting this error a lot this year filing? 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Getting this message means your return is under review, and that can be for many different reasons. You can't assume it is a serious problem, it just means it is going to take a little longer to receive your refund.

The most common cause of this message is filing early and claiming Earned Income Credit and/ or Child Tax Credit. By law, the IRS can't issue these refunds prior to mid-February.

Click this link to learn more about Topic 152.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies