Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a Notice CP2057 from the IRS. It is stating that what I reported for income does not match their records.

The notice states that they have two sources of Misc Income and in the TurboTax return, I have these two amounts listed. I am not sure why they say it is different? Does TurboTax actually transmit the account information for each 1099-MISC or does it just transmit a total amount? I have a third 1099-MISC that is not on the IRS notice, but listed in TurboTax. All three of these amounts is more than what is on the notice. I don't feel like I need to amend the return, but need to find out what TurboTax is sending on my behalf.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Anita01

I received a Notice CP2057 from the IRS. It is stating that what I reported for income does not match their records.

The program transmits only the total income, as that is all the IRS accepts.  They have no provision for including individual 1099 amounts on an e-filed return.  All you need to do is send the copies of all your 1099s, matching the total reported income.

I also received a CP2057, and it shows me what was reported by my employer, which was the Federal Government, but does not tell me what was reported by TurboTax.  Is there a way I can find out from TurboTax what they sent in, to see why they don't match, other than the total income.  I don't see how the IRS figures the amount does not match the individual 1099's if TurboTax only sends in a total for income.    Thank you

What to do about the CP2057 notice:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp2057-notice

To see what you filed save a PDF of the return (if you have not yet done so) then compare what the IRS and you have ... did you miss something as the IRS insinuated ?  Call the number on the notice if you don't understand it. 

Select a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.

I RECIEVED A LETTER TO FILE A CP2057.

CAN TURBO TAX HELP ME TO FILE THIS FORM?

I HAVE BEEN USING TURBO TAX FOR MANY YEARS.

I also just received the CP2057 notice from the IRS.  It states that the amount of my state refund from the previous year and my interest paid do not match what third parties reported. My state refund was automatically imported since I use TurboTax every year, yet it is not shown when I pull my tax transcript from the IRS webpage.  Additionally, I had two different lenders in the 2019 year and the interest paid amount on the transcript is for the sum total, but just the one they say appears to be incorrect.  I don't believe that I need to correct my filing, but I also don't believe that the information sent by third parties is incorrect.  Those are the only two options provided. What should I do?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Your state refund amount is only included with your taxable income in certain situations.   If all three of the following are true, your refund counts as taxable income:

• You itemized deductions last year, instead of taking the standard deduction
  • You claimed state and local income taxes (not general sales taxes)
  • Claiming the deduction helped you increase your federal refund or lower your tax bill

Even when your refund is taxable, it may not be the entire amount.   It depends on how much the deduction affected your refund or tax bill. 

Understanding your CP2057 Notice - What you need to do:

• Read your notice carefully. It will explain the information the IRS received.
  • File a Form 1040X if the information is correct.
  • If you believe the information is wrong, contact the business or person reporting the information and ask them to correct it.   Make sure you have copies of both 1098s from both lenders if one is missing from the IRS information.   @ChristinaT321
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

All figures that they sent on CP 2057 were correct.

I spoke with turbo tax live, and they said to call them.

Cannot get anyone on phone.

all info regarding cp2057 says to file amended 1040x.

should I make an appointment to see IRS or file amendment?

If so can turbo tax walk me through it?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see this link from the IRS below.  A CP2057 notice is issued when there is information reported to the IRS that was not reported on your tax return. 

CP2057 Notice

You will need to file an amended return as it sounds like you agree with the notice.

You can do this in TurboTax.  Please see the link below for steps to assist you as you prepare your amended return.

How to amend my return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies