Here's how you can tell which deduction you took on last year's federal tax return:
- If the amount on Line 9 of last year's Form 1040 ends with a number other than 0, you itemized.
- If this amount ends with 0, it's likely you took the Standard Deduction.
- If this amount ends with 00 or 50, you probably took the Standard Deduction.
- If your return included Schedule A, you itemized.
- Do I need to report the state or local refund I got last year? Is it taxable?
- How does the Standard Deduction differ from itemizing deductions?
- What is Schedule A?
- Which deduction should I choose, state and local income tax or sales tax?
- How do I report last year's state or local refund without a 1099-G?