turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a CP21B refund notice from 2020 from the IRSd on 6/14/2021. I have not yet received the refund. Should I worry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a CP21B refund notice from 2020 from the IRSd on 6/14/2021. I have not yet received the refund. Should I worry?

Normally I would say yes  but  this year everything is take twice as long to process as normal.  Sit tight a bit longer. 

Per the IRS notice : 

What if I don't receive my refund in 2-3 weeks?
If you don't owe other taxes or debts we're required to collect, such as child support, and 3 weeks have lapsed, call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Go to this IRS website for the CP21B notice - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp21b-notice

Thank you - and that is where I started a week ago.  I cannot get through on the IRS line or the TaxPayor advocate line.  My only question is - it has been 22 working days since I recieved the notice and I have not received the refund.  Should I worry or do something? -

Bev

Normally I would say yes  but  this year everything is take twice as long to process as normal.  Sit tight a bit longer. 

Per the IRS notice : 

What if I don't receive my refund in 2-3 weeks?
If you don't owe other taxes or debts we're required to collect, such as child support, and 3 weeks have lapsed, call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

I received this form letter dated 7/26, I called over 15 times I cant get any updates on this letter or someone to explain it says i should have a check in 2 to 3 weeks nothing yes 

@osholland6 The IRS is still sending out letters with the "standard" information that applies during normal times, so your letter says you will get a check in 2- 3 weeks.   In reality, it is taking them much longer to get things done, so give it a bit more time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Me too, except mine was 8/9, more than 6 weeks after yours and I’m anxious already and I can’t get through on the phone either. I guess we should just go with XmasBaby’s suggestion of waiting because in reality it’s taking way longer

I received the same notice, same date saying 2-3 weeks until I receive my refund. After multiple tries, I was finally able to get through to the IRS, after waiting on hold for the next representative for over an hour, The man explained to me that they are only half staffed due to Covid and everything is taking longer than usual this year. My return was adjusted on May 4th, notice sent on June 14th, and 19 weeks later......still nothing !!!
tinytim69

I totally understand some people "need" it more than others. For us it's a surprise bonus so I guess I'll just be a little more patient and move on. It does seem like the over all workforce has decreased by about 2/3 so I'm sure that has something to do with it. What are all those people doing with their free time?

gcat

My notice was dated for August 8th. Like many of you, I have been waiting weeks and weeks for the check to come in. I finally decided to give the IRS a call today and the rep confirmed it had been direct deposited back in July. She told me the amount on the letter is different than what was deposited because of interest. With all the federal and state stimulus payments that went out around that time, I figured it was just one of those. Sadly, the rep confirmed that the deposit was made prior to the letter being sent. If you're still waiting, I encourage you to double check your bank statement and look out for the description "IRS TREAS: TAX REF"

Hope this helps! 

Thanks, GCAT.  Good call.  As a matter of fact, I just spoke to the IRS and basically the same thing.  The amount of my CP21B refund notice was slightly higher than the direct deposit of the adjustment for unemployment compensation due to interest.  And the unemployment payments inadvertently triggered these refund notices.  So no I am not getting that (sadly, hefty) refund, although I SHOULD still expect the actual amount of the adjusted refund filed on the amended return.

I had taken a screen shot showing my amended return was filed on 4/27, and completed on 8/20; but today I noticed it said it was filed on 6/9 and NOT COMPLETED YET.  Which turns out to be true, but that roughly 20 weeks (end of this month) to process the actual amended return, I should expect that refund.  

So the two sets of dates resulted from the inadvertent CP21B notice (sort of).  I mean I should have thought I’m not getting double the amount of the unemployment adjustment but it would have been a pleasant surprise.

Due to all the changes and the short staffing issues the IRS is processing the returns in stages ... the first refund should be the original refund plus interest if it took too long. 

Then this will release the third stimulus if you had not yet received it OR an "plus up" amount if you did not get all you were allowed on the first payment. 

And lastly the unemployment correction refund.  This third process could take to the end of the year for some returns.  There is nothing you can do to speed up the process or check on the progress like you could with the original return. 

I have received 3 letters stating that the  IRS owes me a refund from 2020, plus interest but haven't received anything yet. It has been a month sense the last letter. what is the hold up. 

@Paypal1946 Only the IRS can tell you.   TurboTax does not get any information from the IRS after you file your tax return.  No one at TT knows about your refund notice or what the hold up might be --- except that the IRS is severely backlogged and it is taking abnormally long times for them to do many things.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies