turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to do a 'Division of Income' of my 2020 return for college financial aid application

Can TurboTax do this for me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I need to do a 'Division of Income' of my 2020 return for college financial aid application

"dividision of income" ???   Were you married ?  If so you will have to do the division yourself since a joint return will have your incomes combined on the return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Division of Income" is not a standard income tax term. It sounds like it's something defined by the college. TurboTax is not going to do it for you. The financial aid office should give you a detailed definition of what they want and explain how to do it.

If you filed a joint return then the Form 1040 only shows the amounts of your combined income.   You need to get out your individual W-2's or any sort of 1099's that each spouse received and do the math yourself to see who received what.   The software will not do that for you.   TurboTax does not have copies of your W-2's or 1099's but the income you entered when you prepared your tax return will be shown on the worksheets that are part of the pdf of the tax return.   Or----hopefully you did what you are supposed to do and saved those W-2's and 1099's for yourself.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

A "Division of Income" form is used to separate parent income in the case of divorce or death.  It requires additional documentation, such as a copy of the parent's death certificate or decree of divorce; proof of income for any step parent; and proof of residence of the student.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies