Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mailed my taxes 2 months ago, no response status yet

I mailed my taxes 2 months ago after my e-file attempt was rejected. I have not received a response status yet. Track my refund information on IRS website has no data available. My wife changed her immigration status, therefore a new SSN was used this year and not a ITIN as previous years. I'm thinking that could be the reason why? 

There is no one available on the IRS phone line for assistance....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

They are not processing mailed returns right now.  The mail is stacking up in trailers at the IRS.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Thank you for the information. I wouldn't know how to proceed, my e-file is getting rejected and I don't know why. I enter the correct AGI to verify but no luck..

Do you know how I can get my  five-digit number from last year?

If you already mailed your return then you are done.  Do not efile it.  You can only file one return.  You have to wait on the IRS.

Hi, I am having the same issue this year. How long did it take for you to get your return? 

It ended up taking few more months, maybe like 4-5 months total. 

Jmontano

I am having the same issue . No data or anything . It’s also been about 2 months . They can process all these other payments but forget about the mailed in taxes. So frustrating 

@Jmontano wrote:

I am having the same issue . No data or anything . It’s also been about 2 months . They can process all these other payments but forget about the mailed in taxes. So frustrating 

Mailed 2020 tax returns are taking months for the IRS to process.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 24, 2021, we had 14.7 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

I used the address in TurboTax 2021 for the mail out of my tax package which was Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX 73301.  I mailed the package by certified mail on 03-03-2022 and the documents show it was delivered, front desk/reception/mail room on 03-10-2022.  To date, I get NO response from the Govt IRS site that my refund is being processed or other.  All I get is an automated response from TurboTax regarding the matter.  Where do I go to find out where my tax return is, when will the refund be processed and when can I expect it?  Hope all don't suffer the same issues I'm having.  To date all I know is that my 2021 tax forms were delivered to Austin, TX from Phoenix, AZ.  But, I don't know if the tax submission or refund are being processed.  Thanks.

@FoxHoleDigger 

Mailed 2021 tax returns are taking the IRS six months or longer to process.  Until the tax return starts to be processed by the IRS there will not be any information on the IRS federal tax refund website.

IRS website for tax return status information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of June 10, 2022, we had 11 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 1.9 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 9.1 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

@FoxHoleDigger  IRS processes paper returns in the order received.  They announced yesterday that they are completing all paper returns received through Dec, 2021 this week, which means they have not processed ANY paper filed returns receuved in 2022!  As noted by others, suggest being patient and waiting 6-9 months from March..... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies