Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nvbvru

I'm lost after Amended my Federal return It says im getting 0 back now?

I added a 1098-T to my tax form and now my returns come up as $0
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Heather14

When you start the amend process, the refund that is shown in TurboTax is reset to zero. 

You will still get the original refund. The amended return will show the difference you owe, or that you will get back as a refund (in your case, in addition to the original refund amount). 

You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. On Line 18 you should find your original refund amount and on line 21 you should see your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20. 

OK yes but turbotaxc needs to be smarter. ther cover page of the PDF says i will get 0 refund!! It forgot to add like 18.  fix this.

Just wondering even though it said zero did you end up getting a refund after you amended? I need to amend this year i am just waiting for turbo tax to show 2019 amendment. Was it easy to do? Does turbo tax do all the work for you? I just need to add another w2 i got after i filed. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

See the following TurboTax article for instructions to amend your 2019 return:  How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

The amend process is very similar to what you did to create your original return.  TurboTax will take you through everything step-by-step, just be sure to read each screen carefully.  

Also, be aware that you are creating a whole new tax return, starting from scratch, that really has nothing to do with your original refund or balance due amount.  So, the changes you are making may cause you to owe some money, or it may give you an additional refund.  Or, there may be no change at all -- which could have been the scenario for the person in the earlier comment.  

One more word of advice, you should wait until your original tax return has fully processed and you have received your refund before amending your return.  Also, be sure you have all of your missing documents so that you will only need to amend once.  

@Jdessert78

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you say its starting a whole new return do you mean i will need to add the other w2 that i put on my first return in addition to the w2 i recieved after i filed? Is there a cost to file ameneded return? Thank you by the way.

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

No you will just add the new W-2. If the only change is a new W-2 there will not be a charge to amend. That would only happen if you needed to upgrade.

Do you know when i can do the amendment on turbo tax? One place it said 2/5 another said 2/12. I know after i do it i need to print out and mail it in that i can not efile it. Do you know if the second refund can be direct deposit or will it be a paper check? I added the w2 to turbo tax after i filed and it basically doubled my refund. Should i go in amd take it out for now until i can amend it? 

@Jdessert78 wrote:

Do you know when i can do the amendment on turbo tax? One place it said 2/5 another said 2/12. I know after i do it i need to print out and mail it in that i can not efile it. Do you know if the second refund can be direct deposit or will it be a paper check? I added the w2 to turbo tax after i filed and it basically doubled my refund. Should i go in amd take it out for now until i can amend it? 

Delete the 2nd W-2 you entered.

The Form 1040X for amending a federal tax return is estimated to be available on 02/12/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

On the Tax Home web page when the the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

Any refund on the Form 1040X will be sent by the IRS as a check mailed to the address on the amended tax return.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Did you pay for any qualified education expenses out of pocket money?   If you did not, you would not be allowed for any tax benefits.  You would not need to file Form 1098-T.  ( amount box 1 = amount box 5?)  This might explain why your refund amount remains zero after adding the Form 1098-T.

If adding the information does not change the total refund, you do not need to submit a Form 1040-X. 

@nvbvru

Clairv0yance
Returning Member

So mine got rejected and I filed an amended return and added 1098 forms. Keep in mind that fafsa paid for some of my educational expenses but I also had to pay out of pocket for the remaining cost. They did not pay me any other additional grants. Now adjusted gross income have gone up on my return. and with the amend return changes it looks like I'll be receiving $0. I am so lost and not sure why this is. Can anyone help me figure this out? 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Clairv0yance  If you have a Form 1098-T, the amount in Box 1 (Tuition) should be larger than the amount in Box 5 (Scholarships) to qualify you for any Education Credits.

If the amount in Box 5 is larger, you may have Taxable Scholarship Income, which may be why your income went up. 

Make sure you entered all other expenses that are not included as Tuition, such as books or other fees you were required to pay 'out of pocket'. 

Click this link for info on How to Enter a 1098-T

When you Amend, the Refund Meter always goes back to $0.  When you have finished Amending, the Form 1040X tells you if you get an additional refund, or have to pay back part of the refund you receive on your original filing. 

Don't send an Amended Return until you have received your Refund from your original filing. 

Click this link for instructions on How to Amend Your Return

rzg202

I unfortunately didnt wait for my refund prior to filing an amendment.  Ive efiled my amendment  3/29 (5 weeks ago) which is coming up as zero. (Ive read this happens).  It says it was accepted.  I am unable to check my refund status on IRS page.  Any advice?  Sit back and wait and hope I get the refund? Any other way to check it? 

Thx.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up. 

rzg202

Thank you very much! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies