turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I learned there was a mistake on my W2 but have already submitted my return is it possible to cancel the filing so I can make the correction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

I learned there was a mistake on my W2 but have already submitted my return is it possible to cancel the filing so I can make the correction?

Once you submit your tax return, you'll have to wait until the IRS processes and either accepts or rejects it before you can make any changes.

If rejected, you can simply revisit your return and correct the mistake from the W-2 (as well as fix whatever caused the rejection):  How do I fix a rejected return?

If accepted, you will need to amend your tax return:  How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Donm0128

I’ve made a mistake on my W-2

@Donm0128 And... did you already e-file?

MY RETURN IS IN PENDING—what does that mean?

Did you e-file?  Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  If so, your return is now in “pending” on a server.  Do not try to change anything while your return is in pending. By January 24 the IRS will begin to accept/reject e-files.   If your return is rejected you will be able to make corrections before re-filing.   If the return you e-filed is accepted you will have to wait until it has been fully processed and then amend it to fix your mistake.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Donm0128

I made a mistake on my w2

@Donm0128 Asking again-----did you already e-file?   You cannot fix a mistake now if you e-filed.   If you have NOT e-filed then you can edit the information you entered for your W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Donm0128

So is there anyway I can start over or restart my efiles or taxes?

@Donm0128 You have been asked twice if you already e-filed and have not responded to the question.

Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my return now?”  If you did that, you cannot do anything to fix it yet.  You have to wait for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected. Those emails will not start coming in until the IRS begins to accept/reject e-files in late January.   If you do not see an email, check your spam folder.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

Manage cookies