Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

@Cranman Do we have to send in all those documents or just one of the following you named ?

Cranman
Returning Member

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

All. For each child too. That's if you carried more than one

@King67 no I haven't received nothing in mail only a partial payment 

@Cranman ok I have my lease and ssc will those two work?

Cranman
Returning Member

No you need birth certificate(or pertenity test, or note from the person saying that they allowed you to carry the child IF you qualify to carry the child), school records(proving the child has lived with you at the same address have on the tax return for more than 6 months), lease with your name on it, Utility bill with your name on it. This need to be had for each child that you have carried.

Anyone else get their notice from the irs? 

A lease is a rental lease and you can have school or medical records

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

The best point of contact for any questions regarding the Tax Topic 151 would be the IRS. Please click here for more details and information for how to prepare for a call to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My tax Advacate said my mom can't write out letter saying I can claim nephew's and I claimed them last two years

@King67 No, Tax Advacate had to tell me what was on it. IRS said mailed February 17th

@King67 yes they did

@King67 There is no law any more saying you have to have health care. Trump got rid of that 2019

So we have called the bureau that has the offsets and we called the irs to make sure nothing was owed ! Was told nothing was owed ! Called the irs and was told it could mean they just need supporting documents bc the last three years my ex has claimed our two daughters and gotten the. Eic and child credit ! This year we got the take action on wmr with tax topic 151 ! They only gave us what he would of gotten without the kids ! So they said a letter was sent out a couple weeks ago still haven’t received it ! Called irs back yesterday they said the letter was sent March 3rd so idk! B it every thing I have read this means the irs is gonna send a letter with proposed difference? Then u see it could be that they just want the supporting documents ? What do they generally want to prove he is entitled to those credits I mean his address is same as the kids and he is on school forms and doctors forms for our two children ? He pays child support and has them half the time ! So has anyone gone through this and it hasn’t been some sorta offset bc we called all offset people and they have us owing nothing !  So Idk I hate the wait ! I want this letter already bc my anxiety is high so I’m hoping someone who has dealt with this and still got their refund after they sent the portion without the credits can tell me I’m not looking at losing 9 grand which is what supposed to go towards buying a stable home for our kids :( 

Hello, I did anything change? Did you get a letter? What was your results?

JakeDs559

I didn't file with turbo tax but I got the same thing but I have received a letter before they updated the info on irs refund site and they wanted me to prove dependents and my kids live here and I have a stepdaughter and 3 other are my biological kids and they still haven't updated anything after I fax them all the info feb 10,2020 cause I filed my taxes on January 17

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies