turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

It doesn’t go by the date you filed, but by the date your return was used to pay your loan. As long as your student loan has a “paid on” date of 3/05 or later than you will receive a refund of your student loan offset. To find out the date your refund was applied to your student loans call [phone number removed]. This is the US Department of Education’s number. Follow the prompts and then hit option 2 to hear your last payment amount and date. I filed my taxes on 1/27/20 but because of the Child tax credit and EITC my return wasn’t filled right away. When calling, I found out that my student loan offset was applied on 3/07, which means I would qualify to get my offset returned to me automatically. Just make sure they have your current address on file because the refunds will actually be mailed and not direct deposited back. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

So I filed my taxes in late January and they were obviously offset well before March 13 but I called the department of education just to see if I would get my offset refunded to me. I’ve seen a lot of different posts with a lot of different information so I decided to call myself and speak to someone. The rep stated I would be getting my offset refunded even though it was taken before 3/13. She also stated that the they would start mailing them out this week but she couldn’t give me an exact timeframe as to when my check would come. They will not be direct deposited they will be sent out paper check. My advice is to just call the department of education talk to a representative, they’ll pull up your account and will be able to tell you if you will be getting your offset refunded. Good luck! 

I also called this week and was told by a rep that my “paid on date” of 3/7 was in the time frame of the offsets that will be refunded.. I called because I received an email stating I was due a refund for overpayment and wasn’t sure if it was just a mass email sent out to everyone who had a debt with them especially since I called right when the cares act passed and the nasty ass girl I got told me “nope you’re refund was in the PROCESS of being offset on February 27th so oh well you’re not getting it not my problem” and was so nasty about it.. after seeing the replies to this question and having had received the email I decided to call.. the automated system still says March 13th and when I chose the option about a refund it said there wasn’t a refund being initiated.. yet when I spoke with an agent he told me otherwise.. so “crossing fingers” hope all the people who told us we would be getting a refund are right! I called the number I had for the default loans.. hopefully they’ve realized that during this tough time we all need that money back! 

82 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The stimulus check will not be subject to garnishment fore anything other than child support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will my current garnishment be returned back?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

No,  That was from your income tax refund.  This is a separate thing altogether.  It is from the Treasury Department.  They are using the IRS and Social Security as a tool to get money out as quick as they can.

Ok thank you, I asked because I was told all student loan garnishments from income tax and payroll will be refunded, this was told by the Department of Education, so this isn’t correct?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact the IRS Treasury Offset Department to see if your refund will be offset.

1800-304-3107

You can also contact the Department of Education, as we will no know this information.

It doesn’t go by the date you filed, but by the date your return was used to pay your loan. As long as your student loan has a “paid on” date of 3/05 or later than you will receive a refund of your student loan offset. To find out the date your refund was applied to your student loans call [phone number removed]. This is the US Department of Education’s number. Follow the prompts and then hit option 2 to hear your last payment amount and date. I filed my taxes on 1/27/20 but because of the Child tax credit and EITC my return wasn’t filled right away. When calling, I found out that my student loan offset was applied on 3/07, which means I would qualify to get my offset returned to me automatically. Just make sure they have your current address on file because the refunds will actually be mailed and not direct deposited back. Hope this helps!

NHurley78

Hello! I'm just curious about the 3/5 applied date. I thought people were going to be refunded only if it was  a "paid on" date of 3/13 or later? I was just wondering where you got the information regarding the 3/5 date. -Thank you!

The 3/5 date comes from the Department of Education. If you call, the automated system will tell you that anything processed 3/5 or later will be returned.  Also,  if you speak with a rep, they will confirm that information. This was my experience.  

Thank you for the info very informative. What number did you call? I tried all of them on their website but was not successful. Trying to get information to see if I can get my garnished amt back. I filled On 2/22....

@Nickleboyz  When I call the number for Dept of Ed it still says March 13th.. and when I originally spoke with someone weeks ago they told me it’s not the date it’s actually posted but the date it went into processing to be withheld.. I received an email saying I was due a refund but the automated system says they’re isn’t a refund initiated.. am I missing something here?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

As of 3/13/2020 the U.S. Department of Education has suspended collection of student loan debt.  According to the U.S. Department of Education website at this link and pasted here:

Questions About Defaulted Loans

UPDATED: On March 25, 2020, ED announced that my federal tax refund would not be withheld to repay my defaulted federal student loan debt. My refund has already been taken. Will I get it back?

Yes, but only if your federal tax refund was in the process of being withheld—on or after March 13, 2020, and before Sept. 30, 2020—for the repayment of a defaulted federal student loan.

Your federal tax refund will not be returned to you if the process to withhold your refund was completed before March 13, 2020.

I filed a joint return on 2/17 and it was applied to my husband's federal student loan on the 2/27. Unfortunately, clearly everything was processed prior to 3/13. I had filed an injured spouse claim on 3/6. Are these still being processed within the normal time frames or is everything taking a backseat to the stimulus checks?

Also, if I filed with our direct deposit information but obviously the funds were offset and no funds were deposited. I wouldn't have to use the IRS/Intuit portal to input my direct deposit information right? Can i safely assume the IRS has my account info even though it wasn't used? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

IRS is attempting process all.  It may be a bit slower however.  Here is a link describing current IRS operations.

Yes, your direct deposit information on your return is on file with the IRS for stimulus payments. 

Same happened to me but my question was if our offset was going to be refunded? No one really has an answer. I’m just wondering because I was told by the Department of Education that whatever was garnished due to student loans will be refunded or a check will be mailed back to us of what they garnished from our 2019 taxes( all of the refund) have you heard any updates?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies