turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

I also called this week and was told by a rep that my “paid on date” of 3/7 was in the time frame of the offsets that will be refunded.. I called because I received an email stating I was due a refund for overpayment and wasn’t sure if it was just a mass email sent out to everyone who had a debt with them especially since I called right when the cares act passed and the nasty ass girl I got told me “nope you’re refund was in the PROCESS of being offset on February 27th so oh well you’re not getting it not my problem” and was so nasty about it.. after seeing the replies to this question and having had received the email I decided to call.. the automated system still says March 13th and when I chose the option about a refund it said there wasn’t a refund being initiated.. yet when I spoke with an agent he told me otherwise.. so “crossing fingers” hope all the people who told us we would be getting a refund are right! I called the number I had for the default loans.. hopefully they’ve realized that during this tough time we all need that money back! 

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

My taxes were garnished due to my student loans and I originally gave them my direct deposit information for my taxes and I just got my stimulas check, so yes even though you're taxes were garnished TurboTax still has your direct deposit information for you to get your stimulas check without you having to update the account and routing number to your bank account or debit cards. You should receive the whole stimulas amount you are eligible for, so if you filled these past two years and you have the same banking information for direct deposit I wouldn't worry about your info being deleted because the department of education garnished your taxes, who ever process your taxes and has the same banking information you most recently used to receive the refund although it was garnished TurboTax still has the same banking information on file until or unless you need to update or change it you will be fine 😊👍 I had the same doubts but I got my stimulas check with the bank account I originally sent to TurboTax and I filed in February but they sent me a letter saying my taxes were garnished March 19 2020. I didn't have to do anything to get the stimulas check with the bank account I used for my refund. It was able to use the info from TurboTax

The original question wasn’t about the stimulus check it was about our garnished/offset taken from our refund and if it was going to be refunded to us if it was taken before March 13- there’s a few answers above that says Department of Education will mail our offset back to us

Mommash

My story is exactly the same.. federal return was applied to student loan as of 2/26 (I believe)  and the rep said I was getting it back and they were issued last week. I don’t mind paying a debt that I owe so I don’t want this to mess things up down the line but the rep also told me I’d have until September to set up a payment plan and I’d receive 0% if done so before hand. So hopefully all of this is true!

I also fall in the same category.  I filed my taxes in the middle of February.  IRS sent me a letter a week later, indicating that payment date was February 24, 2020. I called the IRS IRS number BEFORE filing taxes to see whether or not my taxes would be off set. It didn't say it would be I literally called everyday and even AFTER my taxes were filed and the automated system STILL stated no offset. However,  I did receive the letter in the mail. I applied for hardship with the collection agency and they said as of today, they no longer have my account.  I've called other numbers and no information on my account which still has a balance remaining. 

We just received a paper check on Thursday, our refund was due to be deposited on 3/11 I believe.. We had no idea that we were receiving our refund via paper check until it popped up in our mailbox..They have started sending the paper checks out so check your mailbox! I hope this helps!

If you call the automated system for Debt Resolution Group and select the option to find out about a refund and it says a refund isn’t showing initiated.. don’t listen to it!! Instead choose the option to hear your balance owed and last payment posted.. or if you have your online account setup you can login and check your debt summary.. when I check my refund status it says no refund initiated but something told me to check my debt balance.. I just checked mine on both and my balance owed is back up to the amount it  was before they took my tax return.. and my refund was processed as a payment on March 7th.. and it was sent over from IRS to begin processing on February 27th.. hopefully this helps everyone!  

has anyone seen the offset refund check in the mail yet?

My refund came in the mail yesterday.  Friday 5/1

We received our offset check 2 weeks ago, it wasn’t direct deposit but a hard check! Keep checking your mailbox 

Have you gotten your refund yet? I’ve only read March 13th but you stated March 5th. Mine was paid March 11th... and I got an email saying I was owed a refund, but I haven’t t gotten any check in the mail. Just curious if you or anyone else on this thread has recvd the check yet!? I’m just confused bcuz I’ve only read March 13th everywhere. Where did you read March 5?

Have u gotten any check refund yet? I tried to call dept of education but it says my account is being handled by another company due to it being so behind. I’ve only read March 13th but you said you were before that and still getting a refund? Mine was paid March 11, and I got an email saying I was being given a refund, but no check yet and the debt company can’t give me any info. So any check yet for you... or anyone else in this thread?

I didn't read March 5th. The automated system used to say March 5th, but doesn't anymore. I was told by the DOE Default Res Group that EVERYONE who was garnished this tax season for Ed Debt would be refunded. Call the phone number and choose the option for balance and last payment.  If your refund isn't coming up as a payment,  then the refund from then is being processed. My balance went back up on Monday and my check was in my mailbox on Friday.  Hope this helps. 

Also, when you are told your debt is somewhere else, dont hang up. Keep listening and you will be given an option to check your balance and last payment, and to hear refund status. The balance and payment will change once the refund has been processed, but there will be no "refund status". @Shortygirl239  

They say it’s being handled by a debt company and to call them. When I did they couldn’t give me any info. But the automatic system from doe says last payment was March 11 2020.  But I did get the email saying I was due a refund. But still no check. I’m getting scared I won’t get a check.  I’ll call back and see if I can get anymore info after the part they tell me to call the debt company handling my account. Thanks for the info. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies