turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my return in April and haven’t gotten the CTC which I qualify for. Anyone else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I amended my return in April and haven’t gotten the CTC which I qualify for. Anyone else?

If your amended return is still pending in the system that is why you did not receive the advance monthly child tax credit payment.   They will not send that monthly amount while you have an amended return pending....and it is taking a long time for the IRS to process amended returns---often six months or more.

If you do not get the monthly advance payments you will still be able to get the CTC when you file your 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 

Where does the IRS say that your amended return delays that payment.?

That’s the thing. They are giving no guidance as to why it’s pending. From my own research the only others that are pending have amended returns as well. I called the IRS and after 60 mins talked to a very rude woman who would only say it’s pending (ya I know) and refused to give any insight as to why. I’ve also read that amended shouldn’t actually hold it up but sure seems like it’s the issue! It would be nice to have some answers. 

Don't get mad at the IRS agent who could not give you any information that they did not have ... the IRS is shooting from the hip and making it up as they go along since all this was thrown together at the last minute with a hope and a prayer that it will work and the rules are changing faster than they can post them.

According to the IRS if your return, even an amended one is still processing then  you will not receive the advance child tax credit payments.  Go to topic Q B 12  as of June 30th there were 35 million US income tax returns that had not been processed and estimated only 3% of phone calls were being answered. Verify that here 

I’m mad that the IRS agents are rude af. But thanks

@xmasbaby0 

IRS says:

"if the IRS has not processed your 2020 tax return as of the payment determination date for a monthly advance Child Tax Credit payment, we will determine the amount of that advance Child Tax Credit payment based on information shown on your 2019 tax return."

If your dependent list is the same or non-empty for 2019 there should not be any delay.

Yes I read that as well and that’s why I came here because I can’t get a real answer 

A12. No. You will not receive advance CTC payments until we are able to confirm your eligibility.  If we are not able to confirm eligibility during 2021, you may be eligible to claim the full 2021 Child Tax Credit when you file your 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

BUT, your eligibility can be confirmed in 2021 by referring to the 2019 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies