turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maggie6

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

I had to fill out 8962 and I need to mail that back. That reduced my refund from 1811 to 460. But My amended return is  saying to write a check for the difference.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

The amended return assumes you received your original refund. In fact, it is recommended that you not mail your amended return form 1040X until you actually receive your refund. If you owe an amount on the amended return that is less than the refund you are getting on your original return, it just means you must pay back that amount of the refund you are getting. 

View solution in original post

84 Replies

The amended return assumes you received your original refund. In fact, it is recommended that you not mail your amended return form 1040X until you actually receive your refund. If you owe an amount on the amended return that is less than the refund you are getting on your original return, it just means you must pay back that amount of the refund you are getting. 

I'm having the same problem BUT I haven't recieved an original refund and probably wont. Bc I have to amend my return to get my refund so I dont know what to do

Why do you have to amend your return to get the refund from your original return?

I am in the exact same boat! Contacted a Tax Advocate they said to amend my return. I haven't even received a DIME yet and I filed 1/25/2019! This is insanity! Does anyone know what the HECK we are supposed to do? Any information is appreciated!

I have filed mine on March 1.I receive a 4465c letter that told me to wait 60 days.I waited and called today and talked to someone live on the IRS hotline.They told me to amend my return while it still says processing.When I did amend my return it said that I owe the money back but it was less then the original return.I have not mailed it out because I would like to speak to someone to say if this is correct.

Leekajay

I’m in the same boat bc I added a 2017 w-2 onto my 2018 tax return and I didn’t know we wasn’t suppose to do that ! The lady I called from the irs number told me to admend it and I tried to today annd now mines say I owe 416 dollars when IRS refund website says my taxes still processing lol it’s so confusing when you can’t talk to someone direct at the irs like the people who actually looks into your account smh ! I’m glad I’m not the only one going through this I’ve revived letters in the mail with numbers and still nobody can help it’s like do I just go ahead and pay them and be done ? But it’s confusing when my status still say it’s processing
sastone75

I'm having the same issue as you. Except I've called the IRS multiple times and they're the ones that told me NOT TO WAIT to go ahead and submit my amended return. So, I did and now I'm getting a notice that I owe them. Just like you, I STILL haven't received a refund. I have no idea what to do now. I'm a Hurricane Michael refugee and I could really use this to help me get into a livable place since mine was destroyed. 

@sastone75 Contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

I received my federal return but I never got my state one and now after amending it it says I owe state ??

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Alexiismen When you make changes to your original return, we calculate any additional refund or taxes owed when you're finished amending.  In your cases the changes made resulted in taxes owed.

Please note:  It's recommended to wait until your original state return is accepted and you've received your refund before amending your return.

Try checking your state refund status on your state's Department of Revenue website.  Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ, and select your state, for refund tracking instructions:  How do I track my state refund? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same here sorta! I filed my taxes in January they sent me a letter months ago stating it's under a 60 day review! Of course it's well past that. So I called and got a tax advocate she told me to amend my taxes I'm now doing that on TurboTax and it's now saying I owe $5000. I was an error on my return that I did not do. Instead of wages being reported as $4535 it was reported as $14535 I have no idea how but I took pictures of my w2 and put it in. Now when I amend it I owe $5000 I never in my life had to pay taxes what is going on here?

The amended return assumes you got the first refund and is only for the difference you owe back from it.  Did you have a big refund on the first original return?  Don't know why they told you to amend.  You should not amend until they finish processing the first one.  The IRS will probably fix it for you and send you a smaller refund.

First ... whenever you "take a picture" or import a form you REALLY have to review the information coming in for accuracy ... the program cannot do this for you ... it is not a substitute for your own eyes.

Next review the actual form 1040X ... you should NOT mail in the amended return before you get the original return. 

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Since the IRS compares your return with the info that was sent by the employer the mismatch is most likely what is holding up the processing of your return ...  this is most likely what the IRS will catch and correct automatically.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies