turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent but no one did.

Has anyone tried calling the IRS representatives? I’ve been trying but the call doesn’t go through 

@Javy_17 wrote:

Has anyone tried calling the IRS representatives? I’ve been trying but the call doesn’t go through 

The IRS call centers are closed.  See the link below.

**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns are not being processed at all at this time. Most phone service has been curtailed.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The lady there was wrong. I work for H&R Block, too, for over 10 years. If you marked that you were a dependent, you will NOT get a Stimulus check unless you amend your return. Here's the problem. There's  no place on a 1040-X to officially change claimability. All you can do is to spell it out on Page 2, Part III, Explanation of Changes and hope they actually read that part and make the appropriate changes. Your refund will not change at all. 

No. The IRS is never going to cross check anything like that. They only check to see if you WERE claimed by someone else, not that you were NOT. 

Am I going to be able to claim the stimulus credit next year on my taxes?

I just amended two just like you yesterday. You have to do an amendment. Spell it out very clearly in Section III exactly what happened. There is no other place on the form to fix it.

I'm not sure about that. I think that if you do nothing, you will forfeit the money, period. The IRS is not going to check your claimability against what you stated on your return. If you amend and they accept it, you will get your money either later this year or some time next year. That is my understanding of what the IRS is currently saying.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Part of the ineligibility occurs if you can be claimed as a dependent regardless of if you are or not. 

Rules for claiming a dependent

Please see the link below to more details on who is eligible and who is not.

Stimulus check eligibility

If you determine nobody else could claim you as a dependent based upon the first link above, then you should amend your return and mark that you could not be claimed.  Be careful attention to the support requirements.  If you are not providing over half of your own support, you could still be considered a dependent.

I have attached a link for instructions on preparing an amended return should you determine you do need to amend your return.

Amend return

They are scheduled to issue stimulus payments through 2020.  If your return does not get processed in time, please be aware that when you file your return in 2020, you will have the opportunity to report the amount of the stimulus check(s) you did receive, and if it was less than what you were entitled to, you will receive a credit on your tax return in 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HARAKI

Hello Iam an American citizen living abroad that is eligible for the money the government is giving.. my problem is that I  put a tick in the box 

(me as a dependent) while I filled my nonfree fillers form for the stimulus check for covid 19..can you kindly explain to me how I can correct my mistake??? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you submitted the non-filer form, it was processed by the IRS as an original filed return.  Any subsequent filing cannot be filed electronically; it has to be mailed in.

If you file your return with a Form 1040X it will be processed like an amended return. 

However, here are two other options:

1. You don’t need to fill out the 1040X to get your return processed.  All you need to do is indicate in a cover letter to your 1040 that you filed a return to get the stimulus check and that this is a corrected return.
  2. You can simply write ‘1040X amended return’ on the top of the paper 1040.

Right now the IRS is not processing paper returns, but there will be no way for your to efile, so this is your only option.  Be prepared for a longer than usual processing time.

I only file myself. I have a child but he is claimed by his mother

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

You may amend your return if you need to correct that you were claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, but you were not claimed. Amended returns must be printed and mailed and will require longer processing by the IRS.

Should you have to amend, follow the steps below:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Choose the tax year that you wish to amend
  3. Click Amend
  4. Make any necessary changes

Keep in mind, this may not impact your stimulus payment currently, as many of these payments have already been processed. However, you may be able to claim a credit on your 2020 tax return and receive the stimulus payment at that time.

Per the IRS:

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments. For VA and SSI recipients who don’t have a filing requirement and have a child, they need to use the Non-Filer tool (link) on IRS.gov by May 5 in order to have the $500 added automatically to their $1,200 Economic Impact payment. We encourage people to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 11).

Economic Impact Payments

i spoke to the IRS  about this last week. Unfortunately, since the EIP is fairly new to them they have no way of fixing this very common mistake. I was told to to file a 1040x which would amend the non filers return and explain to them i accidentally checked the box and noone claimed me as their dependent. Unfortunately, that doesn't guarantee the problem will be fixed because we were pretty much   marked off as ineligible for the payment. So this would mean we would get a $1200 tax credit on our 2020 tax return. We will recieve that money just not as soon as we were hoping.

So even if I don’t file my 1040x, I can still claimed the credit next year ?

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Even if you actually were/are a dependent in 2019 and then you are not in 2020, you will be able to claim the credit.

Individuals who are dependents in 2019 and whose status has changed in 2019 will be able to claim the credit when they file their 2020 tax return in 2021.

@Javy_17

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies