Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally filed my taxes twice what do I need to do about this?

I had my taxes filed at Jackson Hewitt and went to check to see if they quoted me a correct amount by using turbotax and accidently filed twice
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

One of the returns will be rejected, if your return from Jackson Hewitt has already been accepted then the one you filed with TurboTax will be rejected.  Two returns with the same SSN cannot go through the system. 

View solution in original post

@andrew01093 

YOU did nothing wrong ... the TT program worked as designed however  the IRS has 80 million payments to send out ... if you just efiled YESTERDAY then give it a chance to process ... check the portal in a few days to see if you show up then... Patience is needed by all. 

How do you know yet?  The IRS  is not taking returns until Feb 12.  If your second one didn't get transmitted then something was wrong with it.

93 Replies

One of the returns will be rejected, if your return from Jackson Hewitt has already been accepted then the one you filed with TurboTax will be rejected.  Two returns with the same SSN cannot go through the system. 

I just did a similar thing this week. My state and federal returns were accepted by Tax Act (I didn't think I had filed with  them because they acted like I needed to pay a fee before it could go through.)

Today, I get a notification my returns with them were accepted and another shortly after from TurboTax saying my returns had been rejected. 

Do I just ignore the ones listed as rejected through TurboTax and do nothing about them?

Thank you in advance! 

@Missclawdy02  Yes, do not do anything with the TurboTax rejected returns, you can just get out of your account.  Since your returns were accepted by TaxAct, you cannot do any other returns.  

Which one did u submit first 

did this delay your taxes? im in a similar situation i accidentally filed with turbo tax as well and had already filed with my accountant?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If the return you e-filed through the other service was accepted, the return you filed with TurboTax will be rejected. Wait until you learn whether or not your e-filed TurboTax return is rejected or accepted.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information on tracking your tax refund:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Laxmac93

I did the exact same thing! My turbo tax return was much higher , I submitted today and so did my accountant this morning , however I did get a email from turbo tax saying federal was accepted 

Niness
Returning Member

I have been pending onturbo tax for 4 days. Its getting ridiculous. can I file through someone else. I filled form 8936 for my electric vehicle and I feel like it's being held up through turbo tax due to this. I want to file with someone else. Will this mess it up?

I was filing my federal and state tax with turbotax. I was just about done and ready to e-file, but TurboTax wouldn't accept my social security number at the free credit section. My brother Mark got frustrated, so he went to h&r block and helped me fill out my federal and state tax. I got emails from h&r block saying my federal and state tax returns were successfully submitted. However, at the same time I got an email from TurboTax saying my federal was accepted and my state tax is pending on turbotax, while an email from h&r block told me my federal tax submission was rejected. I know thus is a lot to asorbe, I accidentally filed my same taxes in two different tax places: TurboTax and H&R Block. I'm really confused. What can I do? Will I get in trouble? Please I need help.

@Bearklaw777  You cannot file a return with someone else when you already filed a return. You won't get in trouble, your Federal return with H&R Block was rejected, so you do not have two Federal returns in the IRS system.  Once a return has been rejected, no information gets sent to the IRS or State.  Your Federal return with TurboTax got through before your H&R Block return did.  Since the H&R Block return was rejected you are fine.

As far as your State return, it will most likely get accepted by TurboTax because in order to e-file a State return your Federal return must be accepted.

Okay. I think I understand a little bit. So for state, the TurboTax return will be accepted ( last I checked, it was still pending.) and the H&R Block one will be rejected? 

@Bearklaw777  Yes, the State from TurboTax should get accepted, since your Federal return was accepted in TurboTax.  Don't worry, one of the State returns will be rejected because two returns that are the same cannot go through the e-file system.

What if I put a different numbers on my account

number but same name and same routing number? Can I file my tax for the second time?

I called irs they said it will go to that account number which I gave them on file and need to wait for 90 days  for the check to be received instead of direct deposit. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Bunnicorn 30 Unfortunately, once your return has been filed, that is correct, you would not be able to change it. If the direct deposit information is incorrect, the bank will reject the deposit and send it back to the IRS. Then the IRS will prepare a check and send it to the address listed on your tax return. You would not be able to do an amendment to change this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies