Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally filed my taxes twice what do I need to do about this?

I filed the federal only from Turbo tax, it went though.  Then I thought I could file state only on taxact, but it won't let me file state only.  If i continue to file with fed return tax, will I be able to file state tax only?  Will fed state return reject me?  Can I file state only ?

Also, some sites say it only accepts e-file, is it true although I do see paper filing....

by the way, at this point of time - coronavirus, almost every one is staying home or working from home, if I mail it out, will it be processed since no one will go in the office???

Ok ... if you successfully  efiled the federal return using TT then you can also efile the state now. 

Thanks.. i will wait until I get the refund first from TT.. 

vmgsgb

I did the same. I had miscommunications with a  new CPA and she already filed so mine through turbo tax was rejected. I know I can just ignore the rejected one but will I be refunded the charge to use them since I was not able to file through Turbotax?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@vmgsgb In order to discuss receiving a refund, you will need to contact our Customer Care department. Please click the link below and fill out the short form. Please list Billing Issues instead of refund as the reason for contact.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I e-filed my federal taxes via credit karma and they were accepted. I want to file my state returns (i have two) but every site says I have to file my federal with them. I was wondering, could I efile my federal and state returns via Turbotax and the federal just get rejected but my state go through since I already have my federal filed? Or do I have to print out my state returns and mail them at this point? 

Sorry ... you MUST mail in the state returns if the system that filed your federal could not handle the states.  You have NO other option. 

Dane0925

Filled one with H&R block then another through free file irs.gov . Both said accepted but idk which will be final. 

did you file at the same time?

vmgsgb

No, i filed and apparently she had already filed so mine came back rejected.

andrew01093
Returning Member

Question....I only filed once and used turbo tax but it was only for the stimulus payment as I'm not required to file tax as I get ssi disability. My wife who is current unemployed was told she would have to file it with me jointly so we could get 2400. However she put herself as the main person but the bank account is in my name. I asked the bank afterwards (should have asked first grrr) and they said unless my name was first on the deposit they would reject it. So if the bank sends the stimulus payment back that means they would follow up with a paper check??/

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  Any direct deposits that are rejected will subsequently be mailed out as paper checks.  

andrew01093
Returning Member

Okay there's one more question i'm confused about. My turbo tax stim download after i submitted it the routing and account number are now a bunch of X's?? Also they never asked me for my state id or driver license. I did get an email within an hour though that said it was processed successfully. So just to see I went to the IRS new one that they released for the stim payment. I just went in and look and didn't file it since I already filed the turbo tax one. On that one people say the routing and account number stays.  Again I didn't file that one just went and looked at how it was. Also it asks for your driver license or state ID number.  So now I'm wondering was turbo tax wrong and is it actually filed successfully as the email i got said.? What would happen if I went ahead and filed the one that's on the irs site?? Do I need to??

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If a return has been e-filed with your social security number any subsequent efile attempts will be rejected.  

@andrew01093 

YOU did nothing wrong ... the TT program worked as designed however  the IRS has 80 million payments to send out ... if you just efiled YESTERDAY then give it a chance to process ... check the portal in a few days to see if you show up then... Patience is needed by all. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies