Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andymeder

How do I print my state tax return?

I just filed my taxes, and Turbo says my state tax return was printed, but I did not print it. How can I download and print this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

You can use the link provided below to print out your state return:

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the directions, listed below on how to print your state return:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax Online if you haven't already.
  2. Select File and you’ll get to the [Your name], just (…) more steps and we'll file your returns screen.
  3. You'll now see 3 steps. Complete Steps 1 and 2 if you haven’t already done so, then select Start next to Step 3.
  4. On the Let’s get ready to e-file screen, select File by mail, then on the next screen make sure you select File by mail for federal and all of your states.
    • If the File by mail option isn’t available, you probably previously selected to pay your TurboTax fees through your tax refund. In order to file by mail, you’ll need to instead pay with a credit or debit card. Here’s how to change your payment method from pay by refund, to pay by credit or debit card. Once you change your payment method, you'll see the File by mail option as described above. Select this and continue to Step 5.(If you're using the Free Edition of TurboTax: You obviously won't have to pay, but you'll be asked to register. Just follow the instructions on the screen after selecting File by mail as above.)
  5. Follow the instructions to print your return. If you haven't already paid any outstanding TurboTax fees, you'll be prompted to do so before you can print.

Please click How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online? to learn more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
carrieckg

I am not able to do this using turbotax CD (not online version.) there is no file by mail option for state taxes. any ideas?

thanks

@ carrieckg wrote:

I am not able to do this using turbotax CD (not online version.) there is no file by mail option for state taxes. any ideas?

thanks

What state?    What is your situation, and what are you ultimately wanting to do?   Are you trying to print and file your state return by mail?   If so, why?  Efiling is the recommended method and the faster way to get a refund.  But it is possible to choose to file the state return by printing and mailing if for some reason you can't efile.

Or have you already efiled the state return and want to print out a copy of your state return for your records?

Are you using the Windows PC version or the Mac version of the desktop software?

@CindyO79 

Your comment above is blank and has no info.  Are you having trouble printing a copy of your 2019 return?  You didn't say what and where the roadblock is, so here's a general answer and an alternate way to download/print from the Print Center.

We don't know if you are using Online TurboTax (web version) or the desktop software (CD/download).  So I'm going to assume for this answer that you are using Online TurboTax.

Are you printing for your records after efiling?  Or printing for review prior to filing?   Or printing to file by mail?

If you efiled, has your return been accepted?   If not yet accepted, it's best to wait until it is, then your return PDF should also have the electronic postmark in it.   But the following may explain your current issue:

After one has efiled and been accepted, it can sometimes take a return PDF a while to update and become available at the Tax Home.   You didn't say "how" you are trying to print.    Are you using the Download/print button at the Tax Home or the "Download/print the PDF" link in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents"? If you're getting incomplete documents when you use one of those methods, here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center.

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.  If you later have to amend the return, it has to start off exactly as it was when it was originally filed.

• Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.  The latter has the most pages.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

nlovering

The Federal e-file is free.  The state e-file cost $$.  There is no apparent (or easy) way to simply print a return from Turbo Tax (we eventually did find how to print, but it was not at all an easy option).  If e-file is recommended, then it should not cost anything - otherwise it is certainly a sham.  

JonLim

How did you avoid e-filing your state filing? I thought the online turbo tax deluxe included free state if you wanted to print it yourself and mail it. Couldn't figure it out and ended up paying the extra State E-filing.

@JonLim wrote:

How did you avoid e-filing your state filing? I thought the online turbo tax deluxe included free state if you wanted to print it yourself and mail it. Couldn't figure it out and ended up paying the extra State E-filing.

So you used Online Deluxe (web version?)

In Online TurboTax there are no efiling fees for Federal or state returns.  Efiling is free in the online products.   The fees in Online TurboTax are for preparation of the returns--no matter if efiled or printed and mailed.  So in Online Deluxe there is a $50 fee to prepare a state return, regardless of whether it is efiled or printed and mailed.

The desktop software is different.  In desktop TurboTax (CD/download), there is no fee to efile the Federal return.  There is, however, a 24.99 fee to efile a state return.  There is no state efile fee for New York state.  And there is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies