turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get my social security direct express card to irs for stimulus deposit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do I get my social security direct express card to irs for stimulus deposit?

The IRS works with the social security administration to determine where to deposit your stimulus check. If you filed a tax return with your card or bank account information, your stimulus check with be deposited in that account. If you did not file a tax return, then the payment will go to the same place your social security check goes to.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if i tried working back in 2018 and filed my taxes but have not worked since and no longer have that card my refund was sent to from 2018? Will it go to that card or my direct express that i get my monthly benefits on? I also cannot use the irs portal bc it gets rejected for a PIN? Which i cannot get because nobody is available to answer due to this virus.... Please help!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Here is a link for the IRS to get your information since you do not need to file for 2019. 

For the IRS link, click here and then scroll down to "Non-filers"

Hey Kris, i appreciate the help but that is part of my delima... My info was rejected bc i don't remember my PIN and can't get it now bc they don't have live assistance due to the virus and also idk my agi from 2018 so it gets rejected. Idk what to do at this point!! Also i called them months ago to have my PIN mailed but all the paper said was they have no records of me ever filing which if that was true i wouldn't have a PIN in the first place. I'm so confused and there is nowhere to get the help i need.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you get any government payments through the Direct Express Card, I would assume the stimulus check will be sent to you the same way. 

The website for the Direct Express card said that it has not yet been determined if the IRS will use the card, but we are hearing that they will. 

Below are some links that could help, but this is all new. The main thing is that the IRS will send the stimulus check amount the same way you get other government payments. The U.S. Government has a contract with Comerica Bank, so I think that's how you'll get your payment. You shouldn't need to do anything more, the funds should be on your account in the next week or two. 

If you have any more questions, just ask. Also, keep up with the Direct Express website since they are addressing the issue and should update soon. And as they say, beware of scammers. 

Link for Direct Express Card

IRS Link for non-filers

TurboTax Link for non-filers

Okay cool, thanks for the info!! I was just worries bc i filed a return back in 2018 and obviously got my refund sent to a tax agency card i received. Will my wifes be sent to my direct express as well? Because hers was rejected too for same exact reasons mine was. I really appreciate the info!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I understand what you are saying. 

The IRS will use the most recent payment option they have on file for you. So, if a taxpayer filed a 2018 federal tax return and used an account for direct deposit for their refund, and then started to receive Social Security, the stimulus check amount should be sent through the same process your Social Security payments are made. 

This is very new and ongoing but here is a link I found:

"Treasury is working to automatically process payments for Social Security..."

ABC News link

Also, according to the IRS:

"You receive Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or SSDI benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment."

IRS LINK

Okay, thanks!

Tooks

How do I get my stimulus it to my direct express card

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your card will need to have a routing and account number (and should).  You can check the deposit information the IRS has on file at the following link:  Get My Payment.  If the IRS allows you to select new or updated bank information, this will be the same site they will use to do so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies