Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get a .pdf of my tax return from ttax2018 for mac *with a table of contents?*

I have used ttax for 20 years.  I know how to get a pdf of my taxes.  

When I save a .pdf from the file menu in the mac version of ttax2018 it creates a pdf version no problem but there is no table of contents.  Just 100 pages of thumbnails!  

Also, how can I select 'all records' versus just forms needed for filing like I can do in a Windows copy of the software.  Or is this option not provided on the mac side.

Thanks for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I get a .pdf of my tax return from ttax2018 for mac *with a table of contents?*

At first I could not get Table of Content either on the MAC.  This is because if you do a Print and Save as pdf, then you will not get a table of content.  Under File and select Save to PDF.  Save to PDF will allow ToC to show up.  BTW, I am using TT for 2019 this year.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

1) the thumbnails vs TofC is a function of your PDF viewer and not the tax software.  I can switch between thumbnails vs TofC by clicking on the icons in the left margin.....but I'm using an Acrobat reader.

2)  100 pages of thumbnails does sound like it's all forms & worksheets for your records.  But you should still be able to create several PDF files form your original tax datafile with the Desktop software.  Open the tax file and check the "File" menu pulldown for a "Save to PDF" selection that should have a series of sub-selections for how extensive a file you wish to create.    But I'm really not familiar with MACs software menus.  @macuser_22   ?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Correct.  Thumbnails or text is a function  of the PDF reader and has nothing to do with TurboTax.

I use Adobe Acrobat DC and the top button is thumbnails and the arrow points to the test option.

pdf index.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22 

@SteamTrain 

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies.  I still have a problem.

I'm familiar with displaying the TOC on a Mac.  I'm using the 'Preview' application.  You can choose to display TOC or Thumbnails or Bookmarks etc.  

However, I'm seeing a behavior where:

a pdf generated from the windows version of ttax (2017) and displayed in the Preview application on a Mac does have a table of contents I can see.

BUT a pdf generated from a mac version of ttax (2018) and displayed on the Preview application on a Mac does NOT have a  table of contents I can see.

Both ttax versions have been fully updated with latest updates available online. 

The only difference between the two pdfs is the OS version of ttax that generated them (actually one is TY2017 for windows and  the other is TY2018 for mac).

Attached is a snap shot of both pdfs in the same Preview app on the same computer.  On the RHS is the one which has a TOC (one Federal and two state returns) created from ttax on a PC and the other on the LHS created on a mac which has no TOC.

LHS - pdf from Mac -- not TOC.  RHS pdf from Windows ,TOCLHS - pdf from Mac -- not TOC. RHS pdf from Windows ,TOC

I'll try bringing up the pdf from the mac version in acrobat reader on a mac and on a pc and report back if the TOC can be seen in either case.

@taxanaut  In Preview use the top menu bar -> View -> Select "Table of Contents" (thumbnails is the default).

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 4.12.48 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Update here (shelter at home providing an opportunity).

I said I would try opening the mac created .pdf on a PC to see if it made a difference in the availability of the ToC.  The answer is 'no.'

@macuser_22 I'm aware of the way to show the table of contents in Preview on a mac.  The screenshot I shared where the table of contents was missing was after specifying View-Table of Contents as you have also shown.  

I opened a .pdf (created on ttax *on a mac*) in the latest available version of Acrobat Reader *on a PC.*  I still see no table of contents.  @SteamTrain I understand the symbols you showed indicating how to display the table of contents and have done so many times with Acrobat Reader.  You can see in the attached snip that the ToC option is absent for this document when displayed on a PC.  

So my conclusion is still that the error is with the Mac version of ttax and needs a remedy.

Thanks all and stay safe!

snipfromPCAcrobatReaderLookingatTTaxPDFcreatedonMac.PNG

I don't know how you are saving the PDF but when  I "Save As PDF" and open in Preview this is what I get:

What else are you expecting?    Actually I rarely use preview - Acrobat reader is more comprehensive (see lower screenshot) for same PDF with Acrobat Reader..

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 7.03.37 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 7.05.39 PM.jpg

I'm not expecting anything more than to be able to produce .pdfs from ttax with a ToC.  With ttax2018 on Mac I couldn't do it (my original post).  

You're showing success with ttax2019 here which has perhaps been updated/improved in terms of this issue.  Encouraging.  I'll report back after my ttax2019 experience.

I prefer Preview to Adobe READER because I can edit/comment/bookmark/create .pdfs.  Reader is the teaser for Acrobat (which I also like but Preview is free).

Thanks again.

Fair enough - here is  a screenshot of TT 2018 PDF in Preview:

I am thinking that you *printed* the file to Preview (printing to a printer or Preview does NOT have an index - it is meant for paper printing and filing) and not "Save As PDF" that does have an index.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.26.04 PM.jpg

At first I could not get Table of Content either on the MAC.  This is because if you do a Print and Save as pdf, then you will not get a table of content.  Under File and select Save to PDF.  Save to PDF will allow ToC to show up.  BTW, I am using TT for 2019 this year.

@macuser_22 You are correct.  I was printing for my records and saving as PDF from that dialogue.  As you and @Bao_CA  have both pointed out, the solution is to go to the file menu and choose 'Save to PDF.'  Mystery solved!  Thanks for your inputs.

I'm going to fault Intuit here though because the dialogue they lead you thru after filing says:

"Here's how to save a copy of your return for your records.  

Button("Print Returns")

This will print a copy of all your prepared returns ***with PDF options for your records.***"

Why wouldn't I assume based on this text that my PDF would have all the options I need?  

Here is the screen shot:Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.00.35 AM.png

Clearly saving a .pdf without ToC is a crippling option that's never-the-less part of the main path to finish your taxes for the year.  The button should be changed to provide the ToC functionality.

Btw, I'm thinking on the Windows side, even saving to PDF from this print menu gives you a ToC but I can't test/verify that now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies