Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gol
Level 1

How can I e-file 2019 amended return(1040-X)?

Hi There,

I'm trying to amend my 2019 return(forget to report forms 1098T) using TurboTax Online(strictly speaking, IRS FreeFile Program Delivered by TurboTax) and file it electronically. 

In the TurboTax Online help, I've read that I need to select Amend using TurboTax Online to amend my return. Also, it's stated that "You can e-file your 2019 amended federal tax return."

Here's a screenshot from my TurboTax Online:

1.jpg

I don't see any option like "Amend using TurboTax Online.", so I've downloaded the .tax file and a desktop "Intuit TurboTax Amend" software. Having filled the amended return, I see the following page:

2.jpg

My question is: 

1) Why there's no option to amend using TurboTax Online despite the official TurboTax help states contrary

Is it a limitation of the FreeFile version of TurboTax, or has that option been removed, but the documentation still doesn't reflect that?

2) Can I still e-file my amended 2019 tax return using the TurboTax Amend desktop software? If so, where can I find that File tab?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@gol wrote:

Yes, my 2019 return was accepted about a year ago. You still did not answer my questions about the e-file though.

TurboTax closed e-filing of 2019 tax returns after October 2020.  The 2019 amended tax return can only be printed and mailed when using TurboTax.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

To amend your return, wait to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return. If accepted you should wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or confirmation that any tax due has been paid. If you file an amended return while your first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time. In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment. Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to amend your return.How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gol
Level 1

Yes, my 2019 return was accepted about a year ago. You still did not answer my questions about the e-file though.

@gol wrote:

TurboTax closed e-filing of 2019 tax returns after October 2020.  The 2019 amended tax return can only be printed and mailed when using TurboTax.

Hi SForrestLO, Is it true I can't file the 2019. I have the paid for TurboTax application on my computer and it tells me I can e-file but then when I get there it doesn't let me. I understand from a Tax professional that e-file is still allowed for 2019 so what is going wrong?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

E-file is not available for amending 2019 tax returns. 

This could have been confused with the IRS August 17, 2020 announcement that amended returns can be e-filed for the current filing season. Tax year 2019 was still being e-filed with extensions through October 15, 2020. 

For more information, see: Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

I had the same question and looking at the thread, looks like I cannot file Amendment online(e-file). However, I went through Amend 2019 return on my Desktop TurboTax and choose file by Mail and I get a Warning saying my my return was already filed ( I assume that from my initially filing). When Saved the Copy Federal "Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2019 Federal Amended Tax Return" Do not provide any instructions for Mailing. Also I am not sure if I can use the forms generated to Mail. Can you please clarify?

Thanks 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

No, the amended return (1040X) can't be e-filed.  The form 104X must be mailed along with all the forms and documents to the address provided in the instructions or click here.

IRS Form 1040-X is filed by taxpayers who need to amend their tax returns. The form must be filed within three years after the original return was filed or within two years after the tax was paid, whichever is late.

Thank you for the update on Addresses. Can you please clarify if I can Mail the forms (1040-X) generated even though it shows as "Electronic Filing"?

Also IRS website states we can e-file amendment, is it TurboTax not offering that?

IRS- E-filing is available for amending 2019 and 2020 returns that were originally e-filed. 

You can amend your 2019 tax returns using TurboTax, but only current 2020 returns can be efiled.  Prior years must be mailed.  Please see the following article for more information. 

The IRS does accept prior year efiling; however, self-filed returns cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.  Tax professionals can amend and e-file returns in behalf of their private clients.

Thank for the link and it is very detailed in How do I amend my 2019 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?  It sayis ""If not, we'll give you instructions to print and mail your amended return.""

However it does not generate proper mail instructions it still says Electronic filing when I print, what am I missing?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You need to tell the program that you want to mail in the return. Go back to the file section. You want to print the correct forms for mailing.

In addition, you want to track the return to make sure it gets there safely. Do not attach a payment to the return. It can go in the envelope, just not attached.

The IRS is quite backlogged. In a month or more, check Where’s My Amended Return? 

I have several years of unfiled taxes how can I do them on your site

please advise

You can purchase a download for each tax year required, 2017 thru 2019, from this TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You can purchase the software from TurboTax.com to prepare your prior year's tax returns. Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for instructions:

How do I prepare a 2019, 2018, or 2017 tax return?

@ShelleyTrein67

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies